Regulated power supply

rahulr30

Joined Jan 21, 2012
Hi there,
This is my first post here.
Could some one suggest a regulator IC whch can provide +5, 0 and -5 V. Current capacity needed is 2A.

rahulr30

Joined Jan 21, 2012
Thanks for the reply. The input supply would be taken from a rectified power supply. But that would be flexible. I can modify the transformer turns to get required voltage for the regulator. Basically i am looking at a single +ve supply as the supply.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Thanks for the reply. The input supply would be taken from a rectified power supply. But that would be flexible. I can modify the transformer turns to get required voltage for the regulator. Basically i am looking at a single +ve supply as the supply.
You need a dual (plus and minus) supply if you want plus and minus outputs using simple linear regulators such as the 7805 and 7905. That's readily generated by a center-tapped transformer output winding and a single bridge rectifier.

You can get plus and minus from a single supply voltage if you use a switching regulator. They are more efficient, but significantly more complex.

rahulr30

Joined Jan 21, 2012
Hi thanks for the replies,
I would like to stick with the switching regulator.
Could someone give some references regarding this?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hi thanks for the replies,
I would like to stick with the switching regulator.
Could someone give some references regarding this?
Now you added some new info. The latter switching regulator. Does this have a single voltage output or a dual voltage output (like +/- voltage). And also do you need 2 ampere on both output. Or can you settle for less current on the negative supply. It is quite common that the current needed from the negative supply is less than the positive supply.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I need +5 -5 V as mentioned before. 2 A required at both supplies.
You still have not said what the input voltage is.

The easiest way would be a flyback switcher with dual outputs and the +5V is used for voltage feedback. national makes some simple switcher products that do that.