Regulated power supply

flinthill

Joined Sep 22, 2014
I have a "regulated power supply' board that has outputs ranging from 30vdc down to 3vdc. The output I am interested in using is the 12vdc but before a load is placed on it the voltage reads circa 21vdc. I am planning on powering a Denkovi 12~14vdc 8 relay automation board with this power supply and am wondering if that 21vdc spike will harm the relays or IC when first turned on.

If it will harm the board is there some means of modulating the spike before it reaches the board?

Thanks for any input.

Ron

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sounds like a design flaw in the board. Can you hang a "bleeder resistor" (minimum load that is always there) across the supply?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Just to get in the right range, try attaching one relay and see if that drops the voltage down to where it belongs. If that's, "good enough" you can try a resistor in the range of 680 ohms, 1/2 watt and find out if that is sufficient.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Someone here asked about little incandescent bulbs. That's one thing they're good for - keeping a power supply busy. I like the visual feedback.

flinthill

Joined Sep 22, 2014
Thanks to everyone that replied. I think I have enough information now to wire the board so it won't come to harm.

Ron