Reduce cutrrent of SMPS

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Avijit Palit, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Avijit Palit

Thread Starter Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I have a smps, output voltage about 12v and current about 18a.
    How to reduce current from 18A to 2A.

2. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Use a smaller load that only draws 2 amps.

gerty and Avijit Palit like this.
  3. Avijit Palit

Thread Starter Member

Jul 19, 2017
    But if I add a registor, accordingly is it reduces voltage?

4. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Do you mean that you want to add a regulator?

When you add a regulator then the output voltage could be reduces about 2~3V.

Avijit Palit likes this.
  5. Avijit Palit

Thread Starter Member

Jul 19, 2017
    But I want to reduce only current.
    Voltage must remain unchanged.

6. Bordodynov

May 20, 2015
    Do you want to limit the maximum load current ?. Do you want to remake the circuit? Or do not you want to redo the scheme and everything will be done magically? Theoretically, this is possible (reworking the scheme).

7. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    What load are you running on the psu, can you show pictures of the circuit or a diagram?

8. dendad

Feb 20, 2016
    Your power supply will only supply the current the load needs. UP TO a max of 8Amps. If you load only draws 2 Amps, that is all it will supply. You don't keep the voltage the same and reduce the current to the load by changing the power supply. You have to change the load.
    There is nothing at all wrong with running a 2A load on an 8A supply, as long as the volts are ok.
    In fact it is better to have a larger current capacity supply than to run the supply at its max current.

absf likes this.
  9. Avijit Palit

Thread Starter Member

Jul 19, 2017
    If I make current divider circuit then?

10. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Most loads take only the current they need.
    Can you explain why you think you need to reduce the current? :confused:

absf likes this.
  11. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Avijit,
    The basic concept that you do not seem to know is that typically the load/device attached to the power supply will only "draw (or pull)" the current it needs from the power supply..
    The power supply does not "push" 18 Amps into your load..
    18 Amps is just the maximum current that can be safely "drawn/pulled" from the power supply

Just like a car can go 150+ km/hour but your foot controls how fast it really goes..
    It has the potential for 18 Amps but the load will draw only what it needs..
    You do not need to do anything.

Your device says "hey power supply.. I'm going to take 2 Amps" and the power supply says "ok" the power supply does not say "screw you device.. you asked for 2 Amps and I don't care what you want so here is 18 Amps"...

Now there are certain specific instances where that basic information is not true.. (a discrete LED might be one of those specific situations.. an LED needs to be fed the proper amount of current)

So to continue this conversation please tell us exactly what you want to hook up to this power supply so we can tell you if you need to do anything special or if you just hook up your device to the power supply directly..

Is this an LED? If so please provide us with the part number or link to the datasheet..

absf likes this.
  12. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    What is it you are trying to do? What are you trying to limit the current to? It is easier for us to help you when we know what your goal is.

13. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

@gerty , As I recall he is looking to power a motor of wich he does not know the power ratings.
    In this thread he gives the same specs for the powersupply:
    Measurement of wattage of motor

Bertus