Measurement of wattage of motor

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
How did you determine to apply 12 VDC? I have seen motors similar which run on 1.5 volts up to 12.0 volts. If you over voltage a small DC motor then it will draw excessive current. That said 18 Amps as you posted is a high current and would require a heavy wire gauge to supply it. It would also require a pretty beefy DC supply source. I also agree the motor appears very dirty and who knows how old it is.

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Most motors will take over voltage without any increase current as long as the BEMF is developed, the current will be the same, I have proved it with empirical testing, the danger is over speeding causing mechanical damage due to forces developed.
Max.

Avijit Palit

Joined Jul 19, 2017
How did you determine to apply 12 VDC? I have seen motors similar which run on 1.5 volts up to 12.0 volts. If you over voltage a small DC motor then it will draw excessive current. That said 18 Amps as you posted is a high current and would require a heavy wire gauge to supply it. It would also require a pretty beefy DC supply source. I also agree the motor appears very dirty and who knows how old it is.

Ron
It runs on 12v battery very little, because current of this battery is very low. So, i decided the motor could be high wattage.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Its not running on 5v or 6v. I have a 12v battery but the motor rotate very slowly(almost rotate by hand). I've measured current of this battery, its called very low amp (0.5**).
I think you caused confusion when you mentioned 18a in the OP.
Try rotating it as in post #5, and measure the rpm and the generated DC voltage from the motor, extrapolate from that the voltage that would be required for 2000rpm.
Max.

Avijit Palit

Joined Jul 19, 2017
I think you caused confusion when you mentioned 18a in the OP.
Try rotating it as in post #5, and measure the rpm and the generated DC voltage from the motor, extrapolate from that the voltage that would be required for 2000rpm.
Max.
You mean rotate by hand and measure its voltage.