Recommend protection schemes for a very high voltage converter DC-DC

SiCEngineer

Joined May 22, 2019
Hi all,

I have just about completed a design for a -6kV and -3kV output converter. I have current limiting at the front end, but was wondering what are the other schemes I should implement to ensure that I can work safely on this converter with such a high voltage.

I am thinking of having a comparator driving about 3 LED's which work as indicators for different voltage levels for the converter. But I was also thinking maybe I could do something else with this if an overvoltage condition is detected. Is a standard overvoltage protection circuit recommended?
Can anyone recommend a circuit which works well for high voltage and will minimize risk to myself when working with this converter? Power is 600W and currents shouldnt exceed 200mA in secondary. I have been looking at current foldback limiting which is on the secondary side - maybe this would work alongside the main primary side current limit?

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello, :) I was thinking maybe a self recovery overload short circuit protection function,anti-static, anti-surge,voltage is unchanged when it at no load,safety isolation in ground loop elimination.You're probably familiar with these specs are common.
20180928030814363.png

SiCEngineer

Joined May 22, 2019
Hello, :) I was thinking maybe a self recovery overload short circuit protection function,anti-static, anti-surge,voltage is unchanged when it at no load,safety isolation in ground loop elimination.You're probably familiar with these specs are common.
View attachment 211675
Thanks for your reply! Have you got a reference for where this came from which may include some typical circuits good for overload short circuit protection?

I may add that my load is modelled as purely resistive because the actual equipment is very expensive. Usually they use a spark gap for this equipment (travelling wave tube) But I won't need that since I am not using it in the converter. This is for research purposes. :)

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello! again :)
Have you got a reference for where this came from which may include some typical circuits good for overload short circuit protection?
Boy, I believe I got that reference chart from IEEE website.
Would you mind if I could see what you have so far?
DC voltage converters operate in one or another of four basic ways and use a DC-powered oscillator to drive either a simple diode-capacitor ‘voltage multiplier’ network, or a step-up transformer and rectifier network, or a ‘flying capacitor’ voltage converter, or a ‘diode-steered charge pump,’ which produces the desired final DC output voltage or voltages.
Which flavor topology are you employing.:)
please don't say your
Circuit contains a 555 timer.
:rolleyes: