Questions about if a "stamp" will work.

TheEquineFencer

Joined Apr 20, 2007
I'm presently going to school at Pitt Community College in Greenville, NC and starting in the Electrical/Electronics class. I recently found out about "stamps" and would like to get some more info on what they are capable of working. I guess I'm trying to run before I can walk, but I know what I need to learn to do what I want . I have an I idea that I think they may be able to operate but need to find out if they are capable of doing what I need at a reasonable price.
BTW, next year is when we get into PLC programming, but I need to get started now to try to get the idea I have completed. Any ideas on what would be a good starting point after reading what I want to do in the rest of this below?

Here's what I need to do:

1) Using an O2 sensor with a 0-1 VAC output as the input signal to the stamp.

2) Have the stamp give me a Ground output to a 20 light LED bar graph display.
Example: 1 LED = 0 V, 20 LEDs = 1 V 10-11 LEDs would be around .5 V

3) Use the same Ground output to supply the Base of a fast switching Transistor.

4) I'll install a set of DIP switches to select which output LED I want to power the transistors.

5) The O2 reference voltage will be fast switching in the Ms range, how fast will a stamp operate?

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I would recommend BasicX over BasicStamp. It uses a version of Basic that's close to VB6. It has an input interupt, while BasicStamp doesn't.

You can make a bar graph very quickly with LM3914.

By the way, what's the purpose ofthe device that you're building?

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Or if you want real cheap, go with the PicAxe...... A pic chip that is progammed direct from the serial port on a PC in BASIC.

TheEquineFencer

Joined Apr 20, 2007
I'm looking into building a Poor man's injector driver using an O2 sensor to drive the injector for a turbocharged engine that uses a carbutator for the primary source of fuel. When the engine comes up on boost, if the carb is too lean the O2 sensor will then be armed and depending on the A/F ratio I pick with the dip switches, fire the imjectors. As the O2 sensor sees the A/F go rich, injectors on, it will cut them off when the A/F dip switch setting ratio is met and cut them off. As it does it will see a lean mixture and turn them back on, this will result in the injectors pulsing at around the correct A/F ratio in the event the Carburator is not jetted/calibrated right. The O2 sensor when hot, puts out around .45-.55 V at 14.7-1 A/F ratio for good fuel economy, 11.5-1 or 12.5-1 for good Horsepower.
I still need to learn how to write a program and the very basics for stamps. I need to get the hardware and software to do it. Anyone interested in helping me? I'm trying to circumvent having to do as my buddy did and spend $8000+ on a custom EFI. BTW here's a link to one of my old ProStreet cars I had to sell when I got a divorce, it was carburated when I sold it!
http://www.thedinosaurgang.com/ DRop me a line if you like, TheEquineFencer@AOL.com

you should definitely do some research on the MegaSquirt Project

http://www.MegaSquirt.info

these guys are building DIY engine management systems for an extremely reasonable price ($150-200 USD). in fact they offer some kits that you can assemble yourself if you like. i believe they're currently in their 3rd product cycle of development. there are definitely some high-performance builds out there that are race proven. if i'm not mistaken they post all the materials and schematics required to build these units on their site or forum somewhere.