PULSE GENERATOR/ CALIBRATION/ 555 TIMER /

h9898

Joined Jun 18, 2016
upload_2016-6-18_23-59-57.png
I have been told to build the following circuit and adjust the POTS so that the pulse generators produce a 2:1 mark to space ratio and a 6KHz output.
ok so i have managed to adjust the width to achieve that, however i now must adjust VR1 ( adjust graph height) so that that output is 5v. my question is why must the output be equal to 5V ?

thanks

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That makes sense now, because the 555 is not "rail-to-rail." That is, it can't drive its output completely to its supply levels.

As for your question of "why 5 V," I assume it must be feeding something downstream that needs just 5 volts, not 7 or 8 volts. A microcontroller would be an example of one such device.

John

h9898

Joined Jun 18, 2016
That makes sense now, because the 555 is not "rail-to-rail." That is, it can't drive its output completely to its supply levels.

As for your question of "why 5 V," I assume it must be feeding something downstream that needs just 5 volts, not 7 or 8 volts. A microcontroller would be an example of one such device.

John
thanks for your help

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I have been told to build the following circuit and adjust the POTS so that the pulse generators produce a 2:1 mark to space ratio and a 6KHz output.
The output is NOT variable, the output requires 2/3rd of the period to be high and 1/3rd to be low. The period remains constant (1/6 kHz). In your drawing, the frequency changes.

You might want to revisit your schematic.

Can you post a picture of the assignment's statement.