Project circuit for given conditions

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Hello, here is my task:
Project circuit which will generate on output binary combinations for P and Q, if:
AxorBxorCxorP=0
AxorBxorCxorPxorQ=1
If we know that A=001, B=101 and C=110, find P and Q and then code sequence PQ (P2P1P0Q2Q1Q0) using Manchester code.

Any suggestion?

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
I'm not new here and I know exactly what are rules. With the help of this forum I solved xyz homework tasks. Sometimes I help other members too :)
I'm familiar with xor operation and Manchester code but I have no idea here where to start.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Since you know the rules, then we shouldn't have to remind you to follow them.

Think of it as an exam. Do the best you can and go for as much partial credit as you can. That gives us some nuggets to help guide your further efforts. If nothing else, describe your understanding of what the problem is really asking for and some of the things that you need to do in order to solve it. For instance, your A, B and C values are 3-bit values but your two equations have 1-bit results. So does A xor B produce a 3-bit bitwise XOR result, or does it XOR all six bits together?

When you just post your problem with absolutely no effort shown at all, we have nothing to go on. Based on the original post there's no reason to assume you even know what XOR or Manchester encoding are since you give no hint what you do and don't know.

If you truly have no idea how to even start, then it is an indication that you've dug yourself a hole that's too deep and you probably need to bail now and repeat the course, paying more attention. But more likely you just aren't willing to take a step back and think about all of the things that you do know and try to apply them to this problem.

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for reply. Problem is, I'm not sure I understand task. Here are my thoughts:
A, B and C are inputs to some circuit. P and Q are outputs. For now that circuit is black box with 3 inputs (A, B and C) and two outputs (P and Q). If they told that P is some logical function (whatever function) of A, B and C and Q is some other logical function of same variables, I will be able to implement logical functions they gave. But I'm not sure what I should do with
AxorBxorCxorP=0
AxorBxorCxorPxorQ=1.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
It looks like A, B and C are constants. They don't change.
Only P and Q change. So you have
PQ
Those are the only possible combination of P and Q.

Now run all four cases through your XOR equations and see which equation will give you 0 and which equation will give you 1.

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Here is what I did:

First equation:
A xor B xor C xor P = 0
A xor B xor C = A' B' C + A B C + A' B C' + A B' C' so
(A' B' C + A B C + A' B C' + A B' C') xor P = 0.
Last equation is true for:
((A' B' C + A B C + A' B C' + A B' C') = 0 and P = 0 ) or ((A' B' C + A B C + A' B C' + A B' C') = 1 and P=1).

Second equation:
A xor B xor C xor P xor Q = 1
It is true for:
(A xor B xor C xor P = 0 and Q = 1) or (A xor B xor C xor P = 1 and Q = 0)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for reply. Problem is, I'm not sure I understand task. Here are my thoughts:
A, B and C are inputs to some circuit. P and Q are outputs. For now that circuit is black box with 3 inputs (A, B and C) and two outputs (P and Q). If they told that P is some logical function (whatever function) of A, B and C and Q is some other logical function of same variables, I will be able to implement logical functions they gave. But I'm not sure what I should do with
AxorBxorCxorP=0
AxorBxorCxorPxorQ=1.
The first (and often the most difficult) step is to understand the problem.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the circuit produces a vector P and Q such that each bit in each vector satisfies the two equations given.

If that's correct (actually, I think this is the case regardless of whether I'm correct), then Q can only take on a single, fixed value. Do you see why?

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
hh1.png hh2.png

What do you think? Now I should encode P2P1P0Q2Q1Q0 using Manchester code and that is not problem :)

Last edited: