Problem in casing a laser module into a torch case

Andromeda123

Joined Mar 7, 2024
I recently bought a laser diode which I firmly fit in a laser module for its driver and thermal heatsinking. I got a small torch case in which the module fits perfectly ( tightly ). Now the module being metal and also the torch case, it is creating a problem. The problem is, since this torch uses the case(metal) itself for one side connection and the laser diode is case negative and the diode is in contact with the case via module, as far as I know, if I used the case as the connection the unfiltered or unmodified current would damage my laser ( please correct me if I'm wrong).
If this is a problem
Is there anyway I could modify the driver or do anything to eliminate the problem for fitting it inside the case?

Driver schematics below (Sorry I'm bad at drawing schematics)IMG_20240303_122810_627.jpg

Andromeda123

Joined Mar 7, 2024
You may need to change which side of the battery ties to the case. Laser polarity is certainly inconvenient on occasions.
Thanks. But the problem here is the negative terminal of the laser diode is in contact with the body and the other terminals are insulated by glass from the body as you can see it below

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Is it possible to reverse the battery connection into the Torch case, so that the positive connection is connected to the case? That would be the potentially simple work-around. But it might not be possible, as I do not see the case in the pictures.

Andromeda123

Joined Mar 7, 2024
Is it possible to reverse the battery connection into the Torch case, so that the positive connection is connected to the case? That would be the potentially simple work-around. But it might not be possible, as I do not see the case in the pictures.
The diode case in the picture above is "metal tube seat" you can see that one of the terminal is isolated from the seat with glass and the other is in contact with the seat. In my diode, as I've tested, the -ve terminal is in contact and the +ve is isolated. Now, as I've mentioned in the main thread the diode case is thermally connected with the module, and the module with the torch case. So also they are electrically connected (I've attached a picture below ). If I reverse the battery connection would that fix the problem? Or would the power flow in reverse and damage the diode?

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I had suggested reversing the battery polarity because it had appeared to me that the laser connections were such that the laser positive supply would be connected to the battery negative side. If that would not be the case then it would seem that I had not correctly understood the description of the problem.

Certainly the correct polarity must be applied to the laser unit.

Andromeda123

Joined Mar 7, 2024
I had suggested reversing the battery polarity because it had appeared to me that the laser connections were such that the laser positive supply would be connected to the battery negative side. If that would not be the case then it would seem that I had not correctly understood the description of the problem.

Certainly the correct polarity must be applied to the laser unit.
I respectfully agree with your suggestion. It would have been a brilliant solution if that were to be the issue here. This suggestion came to your mind by correspondence to the information provided by me. If I had described the problem here with simplicity than, It may had not been the case.