Problem flashing Atmega328P U-TH MCU

kowshik1729

Joined May 10, 2020
Hi all,

I've been having a very big problem since 2 days. I got a brand new Atmega328P U-TH IC and made a custom board around it. Due to covid lockdown I am not able to purchase any programmers like USBasp, so I decided to use my Arduino UNO as ISP programmer. However, When I tried to burn the bootloader using Arduino IDE I am having the error " Yikes! Invalid Device signature" I then tried to lot of time hustling over this issue and was able to figure that there's something wrong with my fuse and lock bits.

So I tried to write the fuse bits using sinaprog tool and also with avrdude command line however I was unsuccessful in all the attempts. I would like to ask for help on how to resolve this issue. Please ask me for more information if I haven't provided in this message.

Thanks

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Invalid Device Signature means that you told it to program a chip that wasn't the one in the socket. Each AVR MCU returns a signature set of bytes. They read these and compare them with whatever MCU you're telling it to program so they program it correctly. This is not a fuse-bit issue.

To understand fuse-bits (and you need to understand them! - or leave them at default until you do), read the appropriate datasheet for your MCU.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/electronic-components/datasheet/ATMEGA328-PU--Microchip/

kowshik1729

Joined May 10, 2020
Invalid Device Signature means that you told it to program a chip that wasn't the one in the socket. Each AVR MCU returns a signature set of bytes. They read these and compare them with whatever MCU you're telling it to program so they program it correctly. This is not a fuse-bit issue.

To understand fuse-bits (and you need to understand them! - or leave them at default until you do), read the appropriate datasheet for your MCU.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/electronic-components/datasheet/ATMEGA328-PU--Microchip/
Thanks for the reply boba. Yes I have actually read about fuse bits. My setup was able to recognize the device's signature properly, but I am not able to bootload it with any file nor program it with any of my sketches. I have attached a snip from sinaprog GUI where it read my device signature and fuse bits (I highly doubt those fuse bits read are problamatic)
aac.PNG

only after I got these fuse bits I cross checked against a fuse calculator and found they're not good. So wanted to change these bits and also want to program my MCU with my test codes.

kowshik1729

Joined May 10, 2020
Hi guys, I found the solution. Thought to update here so that will be useful for anyone in the future. I found a simple solution.

Uploaded Arduino ISP sketch to Arduino UNO. Then downloaded MCUdude's mini core board packages from the Boards manager by pasting this link https://mcudude.github.io/MiniCore/package_MCUdude_MiniCore_index.json in Additonal Board manager's URL's in the preferences tab.

Then went to the sketch I want to upload. Selected Tools -> Arduino Nano (Old booatloader) then clicked Upload using Programmer. That solved the problem.