Pretty good weekend effort

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Looks to me like one of those things you use to hook to one of those other things so that the two things can work together. Am I right? Probably not. But what do I know?!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
with no ground nor power layers
Ground and power planes are overrated.

It is possible to create low-noise designs without them...if you take the time to know where the currents are flowing. I do it all the time.

Besides, this is just a proof-of-concept prototype to prove out a new transducer I invented. Planes/multi-layers are difficult to cut with an X-Acto knife when I discover problems.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Right now I'm working on a design that will require the use of bluetooth, but not necessarily ultra low power, since it will be installed in distribution trucks for the gas industry. I was thinking about using the hc-05 or hc-06 modules for that effect. But they seem to be too inexpensive and too easy to use for me to believe that they're the top technology out there.

Other than the low power promised by the RN4020, what other advantages does it have? Speed? Range? Reliability?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Right now I'm working on a design that will require the use of bluetooth, but not necessarily ultra low power, since it will be installed in distribution trucks for the gas industry. I was thinking about using the hc-05 or hc-06 modules for that effect. But they seem to be too inexpensive and too easy to use for me to believe that they're the top technology out there.

Other than the low power promised by the RN4020, what other advantages does it have? Speed? Range? Reliability?
The HC-05 and -06 are SPP (serial port protocol). RN4020 is straight BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy)

Aside from that, there are absolutely no advantages to using RN4020. It's a bear of a part to program for (as my thread attests).

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The HC-05 and -06 are SPP (serial port protocol). RN4020 is straight BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy)

Aside from that, there are absolutely no advantages to using RN4020. It's a bear of a part to program for (as my thread attests).
Thanks for the warning. I'll stay away from that module until a very low power is demanded from my projects... and when that happens, I'll know exactly who to ask for help from... :D

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...what software did you use to draw it?
I neglected to answer this question. Sorry. Better late than never, I guess.

In real life, I'm a cheap old bastard. I refuse to pay "maintenance fees" to stay on the upgrade cycle for professional software.

Therefore, I am still using my licensed copy of Protel 99, now known as Altium Designer. It runs on XP which itself runs under a virtual machine on my Linux box.

There is absolutely nothing the package doesn't do that I need. So, what's the point of upgrading?

Same with my copy of Solidworks 2001 that I use for solid modeling.

If I didn't have so much time and effort already expended in Protel, I'd consider moving to the gEDA suite. But I'll save that for my next lifetime.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Here's a portion of another one I put together over the last two days. It's amazing what one can do with two layers when one puts his mind to it.

This time, it's a screen shot of the Gerbers as viewed on gerbv.

Selection_005.png