powering steppers and DC motors

kutalinelucas

Joined Nov 20, 2007
Hey guys, I'd really appriciate some advice on how I could go about powering my circuits...

I'm controlling 5 stepper motors and 4 DC motors using a propeller chip and five basic stamp chips, driven through 7 L293D H-bridge drivers.

The stepper motors are rated at 600mA @ 4.6v, the DC motors 12v, 0.1A no-load.

I have a 12v, 1A wall supply powering the circuits, split into 3.3v, 5v and 9v to supply the voltage to the logic parts of the circuit.

Through development, I've been using a seperate 12v wall supply again divided by two voltage regulators to provide the 4.6v and 12v voltage levels nessesary to drive the motors (plugging into pin 8 of each L293D and all sharing a common ground).

The problem is I can only realistically run 3 steppers at a time and they have little torque...I can run all four DC motors but presumably only because I have not tested them with any attached load.

I've found a pretty cheap variable AC/DC wall supply (http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-dc-multi-voltage-6w-power-supply-226)providing 6A and I was wondering if this would be suitable for the task...

So, this is what I could really do with some help with...

1. if I bought the above supply, could I use two voltage regulators to divide the voltage into 12v for the DC's, and 4.6v for the steppers?

And how would the current be divided over the two voltage drops?

Thanks,

Martyn.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Just continue in the other thread, and leave this one alone. If any more replies to this thread happen along, a Moderator will lock it.

Last edited: