Power supply for esp 12f

idrbur

Joined Jan 11, 2018
I am thinking about using a 3.85 volt 2.5 amp Li ion battery to power my esp 12f and I have added a 1n4007 I'm series with battery to get a voltage drop and get a voltage of 3.45 across esp.
I was wondering if it would be alright for me to use this supply for my project or. Should a get a 3.3v regulator ic.
I am pretty new to electronics and any kind of help would be appreciated.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If you use a 3.3 volt power supply you won't have to worry about the state of charge of a battery and can then concentrate of getting the ESP12f to do what you want.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
A fully charged Li-ion cell can be as much as 4.2V. Using a diode to drop a half a volt isn't the way to go. No matter what you're doing you're dropping (wasting) 0.6V as heat. A regulator will likewise do pretty much the same but it will also keep a constant voltage depending on the battery voltage. A buck/boost converter may be the way to go. Less wasted energy. But even then there's still a sacrifice. Efficiency goes down depending on the converter.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I don't think the main issue here is efficiency, even thought a battery is involved. I think it has more to do with what idrbur can do to get started with what is available. Just the way it looks to me.

idrbur

Joined Jan 11, 2018
I don't think the main issue here is efficiency, even thought a battery is involved. I think it has more to do with what idrbur can do to get started with what is available. Just the way it looks to me.
Its just as you say.... I just wanted to know if this method can work for me or not.... But the asm1117 I ordered has arrived so now I'm just gonna use that.... Anyway thanks for the help