Power Supply -commerical power supply has a problem

pujulde

Joined Jul 24, 2013
Hi every one, I have a Siemens power supply 5Amp 24 volt output and 120volts , 220 volts input. The problem is I think in transformer. It creates voice like ticking. Output voltage keeps 24 volts for about a minute and after fluctuation begins (22.x-23.x). I tried to change capacitors but the same problem. I could not find any manual or drawinds. Can anybody suggest something, may be some additional information would required , in that case I will write, thanks in advance

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Assuming it is a low-voltage linear supply; not a Switch-Mode Off-line one, remove cover, and measure the AC voltage out of the transformer secondary right where it goes into rectifiers. Two possibilities: if transformer secondary is center tapped, you will find two rectifiers; else a potted full-wave bridge rectifier with four connections. See if the AC voltage at the secondary drops after things heat up?

pujulde

Joined Jul 24, 2013
I could not understand the scheme, because it seems that the voltage from supply is going to choke and capacitor, after to rectifier without stepping down. I measure the voltage on bridge rectifier and its about 320 volts. Is that kind of scheme possible?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
But what can make it ticking?
A ticking SMPSU is usually repeatedly starting up and detecting a fault that makes it shut down again.

The most likely source of the actual sound is the ferrite core in the transformer.

It usually suggests a shorted output or basically an overcurrent fault - but the PSU could be designed to shut down if not properly loaded.

pujulde

Joined Jul 24, 2013
A ticking SMPSU is usually repeatedly starting up and detecting a fault that makes it shut down again.

The most likely source of the actual sound is the ferrite core in the transformer.

It usually suggests a shorted output or basically an overcurrent fault - but the PSU could be designed to shut down if not properly loaded.

pujulde

Joined Jul 24, 2013
I have no load, just switch it on and it begins ticking at the same time the led is flashing in tact with that ticks . when I switch it of the choke I think keep the voltage and the ticking rate slowly goes down and I see how the led is flashing in ticking time

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
The black disc in the picture, above the bridge rectifier, appears to have some sort of hole in the center. Is that correct? Do you see any arcing when it's powered up?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The black disc in the picture, above the bridge rectifier, appears to have some sort of hole in the center. Is that correct? Do you see any arcing when it's powered up?
Looks like maybe a MOV, or more likely a NTC inrush limiter.

Defects in the epoxy dip coating can happen - close inspection should reveal whether its a burst void in the coating as it set, or a crater blown out by an internal "event".