Power MOSFET IRFZ44N

IssacSutt

Joined Jan 6, 2017
Thanks guys. I’ll give the bolt idea a try, and if that fails I’ll try to see if I can find something to take apart to salvage a heat sink from. ....Otherwise, my absolute last idea is probably gonna be adding a step down voltage regulator or completely redoing the current limit design to use 2 mosfets in series instead of parallel, (that Otta cut the voltage/resistance for the mosfet in half; and therefore the power as well I hope)

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
redoing the current limit design to use 2 mosfets in series
That would be a major redesign. Have you considered how you would drive the gates of series-connected FETs to share the load? But as Les says, you'll still have a heat problem (unless the load current is of very short duration and low duty cycle).

IssacSutt

Joined Jan 6, 2017
Oh I see, that wouldn’t help at all huh. Dang. Well then what would be the simplest way (but still reliable) to drive the mosfet so that it only conducts 1% of the duty cycle? I was thinking maybe take a 1kHz square wave to a single Rc lowpass to create a sawtooth wave, and then use that with a potentiometer to drive a bjt to create a variable square wave duty cycle. Or would it have to be converted to a triangular wave to effectively vary the duty cycle without rounded edges out of the transistor?