power entry fuse: a wire ?

j4e8a16n

Joined May 1, 2013
Hi everybody,

I have an ATX raidmax 500w power supply with a power entry fuse: a thin wire ?

The switch and on/off button are separated
Is it a fuse?

Regards,

NB: How come I dont receive mail on reply even thoug I requested it?

JPDaviau

Attachments

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It would appear that someone has modified the aux outlet supply, as this is normally only switched on when the PC is on.
In the ones I have serviced, the Aux socket is fed off of a on board fuse in the PS.
Max.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
If I'm looking that correctly putting a wire between there would be a dead short between Line and Neutral. It's looking to me like someone may have "Unprofessionally" modified the circuitry. Without knowing more about the lines going in and out of the PS I'm only going to be guessing.

Looking at the right hand connection (in the large image), it looks like the black wire has looped from the left side to the right side. It appears to possibly be a switch. But the image you show is in no way the inside of the smaller image of a PS. The smaller image doesn't show a switch, but rather shows a mains connection via a power cord with a secondary output for a second 120 VAC (or 240) power out to something such as a monitor or other device. What gives it away is the lack of the voltage selector switch (two red wires) as well as the vent holes - they do not match the smaller image which shows vent slots (not holes) and does not show the voltage selector switch. So if it IS a switch then putting a small jumper wire where you show the dotted line would create a dead short between hot and neutral regardless of switch position.

j4e8a16n

Joined May 1, 2013
If I'm looking that correctly putting a wire between there would be a dead short between Line and Neutral. It's looking to me like someone may have "Unprofessionally" modified the circuitry. Without knowing more about the lines going in and out of the PS I'm only going to be guessing.

Looking at the right hand connection (in the large image), it looks like the black wire has looped from the left side to the right side. It appears to possibly be a switch. But the image you show is in no way the inside of the smaller image of a PS. The smaller image doesn't show a switch, but rather shows a mains connection via a power cord with a secondary output for a second 120 VAC (or 240) power out to something such as a monitor or other device. What gives it away is the lack of the voltage selector switch (two red wires) as well as the vent holes - they do not match the smaller image which shows vent slots (not holes) and does not show the voltage selector switch. So if it IS a switch then putting a small jumper wire where you show the dotted line would create a dead short between hot and neutral regardless of switch position.

You are right it was on ly an example of the kind of switch.

Could this has been a resistive wire? It was hard metal twisted with a kind of solder.

There is a red switch for 110-220 on the left of the 2 switch.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Regardless, my comment still stands. It appears that if you connect a small gauge wire between the two points you're likely going to have a dead short. Again, without knowing more this is just guesswork. It's the best I can do under these circumstances.

j4e8a16n

Joined May 1, 2013
Yes. But I made a mistake and a spark occured. So maybe this wire came there.....

Anyway I have change theese buttons for a brand new all-in-one fuse include .

I am trying to repair it (because I broke it) but I cant find the schematic.

RaidMax RX-500S KY-600ATX 500 Watt ATX12V Power Supply (U47)

Thank you