Alternative power supply

Thread Starter

Korppi

Joined Nov 18, 2020
5
Hello,

I have Rme ufx, multichannel audio interface

These units ( also rme fireface 800, 802) have common known failure: power supply

I am fed up, i have bought two, last one broke in 9 months and the rme lied straight to my face " Rme has 6 months warranty in EU"

So i have been looking for alternative power supplies

Rme uses following wiring, 6 wires:

1)Red 5,6V/3A

2)Black GND

3)Yellow +15V/0.6A

4)Blue -15V/0.6A

5)White GND

6)Red 48V/130mA



I found meanwell PT-65C, it has:

+15v 2.0a

-15v 0.5a

5v 5a

I was thinking using chinese voltage booster from 5v output to get 48v phamtom power ( using the same +5v output)

-15 v is 100ma too low on meanwell for rme specs, its for op amps, but i cant see op amps using so much

Questions:

1Will this voltage booster thing work for 48v?

2)Any other problems using meanwell? Ripple etc?

3)I dont need phamtom power so often, will the unit work without
48v supply?

Thanks in advance
 

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
2,239
There may be an important reason for the main supply voltage to be 5.6v instead of the ubiquitous 5.0v.
Without knowing the exact reason, it is difficult to determine.
And indeed, the 48v supply may only be used for phantom powered microphones.
 

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
28,332
Certainly high quality long-lasting power suppies with those DC voltages are available. There are models that will easily last 20 years or more. The reality is that they will cost quite a bit more than the ones that routinely fail.
The common reasons for a power supply to fail in normal use are inadequate design and poor quality materials. Often both are involved.
I am aware of a few brands of equipment that are not even allowed in some locations for the reason of inferior quality. There are brands that I will NEVER suggest because their quality is always POOR, and so they are not reliable.
I will provide more explanations another day, I must sleep for a while now.
 
Top