Potable solar generator setup for a truck driver

psychlo0015

Joined May 26, 2015
Hi I'm back again with this question that I have... I want to build a 24 hour battery pack solution for my electronics that rapidly charges off of 14 volt batteries. Since I'm going to be a truck driver soon I'll have about 8-10 hours of power to pipe into the system every day. I do not want a gas powered generator as I don't have the patience to deal with gase fumes, exhaust fumes, and noise.

Right now I'm looking at the Duracell solar generator for about $650. If allows me to hook up a 12 volt battery for added battery life so I was thinking I could hook up a few golf cart batteries and have all my stuff running for at least 24 hours.

My questions now are...

1) Is this Duracell solar generator going to charge off of an inverter connected to the massive battery bank of a big rig?
2) Will I be able to charge additional large golfcart batteries without overloading the system and draining the truck batteries?

Duracell PowerSource 1440W Portable Power Station – DuracellPower

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Sounds like you have batteries already. Aside from the battery used to start your rig, what do you have? What voltage and how many Amp Hours (AH)?

If you already have batteries, then I'd look into an inverter/charger. There are purpose built units used in boats and RV's that will probably fit the bill and make a cleaner install.

Not endorsing Magnum Energy, I've never used them, but here's their lineup of inverter/chargers: https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/mobile-power-products/inverter-chargers

Look around on the web there are bound to be other systems out there. You may want to contact an RV dealer that installs these type of systems to see what they can offer.

psychlo0015

Joined May 26, 2015
ahh yes this is the type of motivation I was seeking... I prefer to DIY as you get the results you want at a better price. I would more than likely build my own device now haha screw Duracell. I'll look around at RV dealers and ask them about it.