Possible ending of site politics fight threads. (Poll/site policy discussion.)

End the forum politics crap?

• I don't want to contribute to solving anything but I want to vote anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Anyone else feel like all this experiment has done is bring out the worst in all all of us?

If so, and you would like to see it shut down and kept down and the worst threads deleted simply respond with a yes.
Big bold yes if you agree or,

just act like a trolling ass (so I can request you have your post deleted from this is thread) for a no but vote accordingly anyway.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm all for closing out that one thread that long ago became a catchall for political banter. Let's move on. But I'm not opposed to political discussion in general. I just skip over everything that veers into being personal rather than about the ideas.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Anyone else feel like all this experiment has done is bring out the worst in all all of us?
Thanks @tcmtech ! -- You've induced me to 'break' my 'web-fast' if only for a moment to cast my vote -- which being a resounding YES!!!

Really, folks! this is not a 'freedom of speech' --but, rather, an appropriacy of content-- issue! The web is replete with sites accommodative of those 'feeling the need' to engage in political debate!

IMNSHO political discussion on 'hard science'/technical sites is dubious at best and, frankly, 'crazy' on to reckless on sites enjoying international/multicultural membership...

Most sincerely
HP

Am I missing the point here, if you don't like the political discussion or you're not interested, just don't read it. I'm not that interested myself but that doesn't mean I would want to stop others posting or reading any subject. Also, it's nice to see posts covering subjects outside our main interests and it helps broaden the mind. The most interesting trade magazines usually have a page or two devoted to the wider world, trivia, light weight topics etc

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I like this change. I have learned a lot from the posts in the thread in question as well as others that did not go for quite as long but would not have existed before. This forum is predominantly US, but has members from all over the world. I think it is very good to allow this discussions. Also, I feel that the discussions have been quite well managed by the members.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Am I missing the point here, if you don't like the political discussion or you're not interested, just don't read it.
That sort of runs parallel with my thinking. I have never once had my arm twisted to either participate or not participate in any thread, be it religious, political or even electronics orientated. I really do not care what threads exist in the off topic section since like anyone else I can choose to participate or not. With that in mind why should I care if a political debate or religious debate thread exist? Now with the freedom to choose if I am stupid enough to allow myself to get involved in such a thread and get my feelings hurt then so be it.

Finally it really matters not because in matters of religion or politics I am of course correct while those who disagree with my beliefs or convictions are wrong. :)

Ron

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Heck no. It's much too enjoyable. Nothing exposes the real mood of people like free speech.

And it's not prepared or from professional talking heads. It's just regular people.........much more informative and real than a media event.

It's not meant to form a solution. It's a collection of perceived causes for the problems we have.

Some think a policy/theory is the solution and some think it's the problem. And all think history proves their point.

No one has changed anyone's mind. There is nothing to fear. No one lost anything.

We all win with this activity. It has saved my tongue a number of times.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I rather enjoy it. It is really fun when you can get people to actually discuss different possible solutions to problems. I think it is also important to not to just let false information go by unchallenged. Of particular enjoyment are the opinions of people living outside the US. I find most members are mature enough to participate without getting nasty.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I like this change. I have learned a lot from the posts in the thread in question as well as others that did not go for quite as long but would not have existed before. This forum is predominantly US, but has members from all over the world. I think it is very good to allow this discussions. Also, I feel that the discussions have been quite well managed by the members.

The problem is people try to take even non political threads political.

I would compromise on that front and suggest a rule that says absolutely no politics in non-political threads.

But I would like to think we are all friends here. Politics can breed contempt.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I rather enjoy it. It is really fun when you can get people to actually discuss different possible solutions to problems. I think it is also important to not to just let false information go by unchallenged. Of particular enjoyment are the opinions of people living outside the US. I find most members are mature enough to participate without getting nasty.

But you don't find any solutions to problems. There is nothing any of us can do do can do. Those problems are far, far out of our control. What we can control is how we deal with one another and politics can be the antithesis of friendly behavior.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Yes

1. The political posts bring out the worst in the members of our community.
  2. There seems to be an increasing bleed of political content into what should be strictly technical threads.
  3. I agree with whoever said that it wasn't about politics, it was about content. If it wasn't politics, it could be guns. Whoever thinks that an off-topic thread about a potentially explosive topic could be monitored, I have an apartment in Disneyland for you.
  4. This is "All About Circuits", an electronics forum. Let's take a stand and prohibit incendiary commentary. There are political forums for politics. There are gun forums for guns. And likewise for many off-topic subjects. This is an electronics forum for electronics.
  5. Maybe there was a reason for prohibiting political discussion in the past. Maybe this experiment has proved its value. Maybe if the content is not about electronics, pretty pictures, pets, good food or humor, maybe, just maybe, it doesn't belong on AAC.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@tcmtech I voted YES:)! I say that ppl saying anyone is free to take or leave political threads are missing point that hard feelings from those threads are stinking up other threads! PLS OPEN YOUR EYES PPL! AAC was a way more civil place b4 change and I say it's not past point of no return yet but it can get there if ppl don't come to their senses SOON:(!

@tcmtech Just an IMO abt poll; plz don't delete my post for this but I say wording poll as a joke by basically saying anyone who doesn't agree with you is a troll might escape some ppl's sense of humor to point of alienating potential allies! So I know that part is just kidding around but some ppl are super over sensitive to that sort of thing, just sayin:(!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The problem is people try to take even non political threads political.

I recently had a non-political thread turn political. I didn't flag any posts, ask anybody to stop, or anything. My question had been answered to the extent it was going to be answered so I let it go, and I joined in the political discussion.

If I had a problem with it I would have asked people to take the politics elsewhere and flagged the posts. I think if I had asked, people would have respected that. That mutual respect is still around, right? Or has that died? I don't participate in the political threads so don't see how large of turds are being thrown around in there. From what I see we are still a respectful group and good at leaving the turds in the turd throwing ring. (Minor Exception being some contempt between @tcmtech and @GopherT I've seen in a few places it didn't belong)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
From what I see we are still a respectful group and good at leaving the turds in the turd throwing ring.
I see that and I'm grateful for it.
I have frankly disagreed with a few people here but, except for one, that seems to have nothing to do with "business as usual" anywhere else.
The turds stay in the turd bowl and then we go try to help some beginners.:)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
@tcmtech I voted YES:)! I say that ppl saying anyone is free to take or leave political threads are missing point that hard feelings from those threads are stinking up other threads! PLS OPEN YOUR EYES PPL! AAC was a way more civil place b4 change and I say it's not past point of no return yet but it can get there if ppl don't come to their senses SOON:(!

@tcmtech Just an IMO abt poll; plz don't delete my post for this but I say wording poll as a joke by basically saying anyone who doesn't agree with you is a troll might escape some ppl's sense of humor to point of alienating potential allies! So I know that part is just kidding around but some ppl are super over sensitive to that sort of thing, just sayin:(!
I have no issues with legitimate disagreements and never have so I have no issues with anything anyone has said here so far which means I have no reason to ask for anyone's comments to be deleted. They are as I see honest and fair in their opinions and I respect that. ;)

It's intelligent people playing stupid in one way or another to avoid having to back up their claims and opinions that I really have no tolerance for. I've seen way too much of it from people I used to respect for what I thought of them as being sane rational people who could explain themselves but with the politics thread and the bleed over of negativity I now know I was wrong in my views of a few here. Rather hurt my pride in thinking I could read people better than that. :(

As for the joke, at least someone got it but for the most part I rather don't care who doesn't. Same with the sensitivities.
I have come to see everyone here has theirs regardless of whether they look rational or otherwise to anyone else. Mines proud unfounded unsupportable stupidity, not credible valid disagreement as has been shown here by everyone who has participated so far. :cool:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Politics can breed contempt.
Politics will, not can. That's the problem.
When someone says stupid things and gets called out on them enough they tend to want to retaliate elsewhere by trying move the fight to some new subject in hopes they can gain ground there even eif all it does is make an ass out of them for their efforts.

That's where I see the bleed over coming from at times. Someone couldn't support themselves on one front so they go with underhanded sniping and backdoor attacks in places where they don't belong. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.