Positioner unit for 2d scanner

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
How can I control stepper motors to move to an arbitrary input x, y coordinates using a python script?
What is your hardware platform; Ardino, pic, PC, or any one of the host of microcontrollers that are readily available?
What motor controller will be using and which stepper motor (there are several configurations available).
Once you have defined this criteria, look up on-line for similar projects to use as an example.

Salaudeen Ilyas

Joined Jun 29, 2016
What is your hardware platform; Ardino, pic, PC, or any one of the host of microcontrollers that are readily available?
What motor controller will be using and which stepper motor (there are several configurations available).
Once you have defined this criteria, look up on-line for similar projects to use as an example.
I will be using Arduino. I've seen examples of controlling the motors and that's fine, but the issue here is that the script controls the motor to move in the direction of the coordinates of the object entered by the user, no predefined directions. For example, a 3D printer will only move according to the new object it wants to print

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I will be using Arduino. I've seen examples of controlling the motors and that's fine, but the issue here is that the script controls the motor to move in the direction of the coordinates of the object entered by the user, no predefined directions. For example, a 3D printer will only move according to the new object it wants to print
I don't understand your question. What exactly are you trying to make the stepper motor do?

Salaudeen Ilyas

Joined Jun 29, 2016
I don't understand your question. What exactly are you trying to make the stepper motor do?
Thanks for the reply. So basically i want the motors to be able to move in [x,y,z] direction given a coordinate input.
e.g input_coord = [ [1,0,0], [1,1,0], [0,0,1] ]
how do i make the motors (2 on y-axis, 1 on x-axis and 1 on z-axis) move through these coordinates?Screenshot 2022-03-31 104449.jpg

Last edited:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
There are quite a few tutorials and examples of x - y plotters on-line. If you can't find an example of what you are trying to do, you will have to write one yourself. How experienced are you with writing software for Arduino?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The head moves a specific amount on each step. Once you know this number, then it is trivial to calculate the number of steps you need to perform to move it any distance.

Bob

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
A stepper by its self won't move anything. You also need some sort of lead screw or other motion form that gets powered by the stepper, and that movement per step gets into the equation.

Salaudeen Ilyas

Joined Jun 29, 2016
There are quite a few tutorials and examples of x - y plotters on-line. If you can't find an example of what you are trying to do, you will have to write one yourself. How experienced are you with writing software for Arduino?
Exactly im trying to write it by myself just needed some help because have only little experience with Arduino

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
You are basically looking to write a "Step Motor Indexer"

The hardest part is creating acceleration profiles to get good speed performance out of the motor.
It's easy to just output fixed pulses and count them, but the speed will be severely limited by the motor.
It needs to be fed gradually accelerating pulses to reach higher speeds, all while never loosing the count, not trivial.