Polarity for stepper driver

Erikwikzen

Joined Dec 23, 2022
Hi everyone,
I just received some parts for a CNC projekt i’m working on and i have a question regarding the polarity of the stepper drivers.

The power supply i intend to use provides the steppar driver with 48 volt DC. And when i look at the data sheet for the drivers it says that it can manage ”24-110 VDC polarity any” which seems compatible with the power supply of choice. But the data sheet does not provide any info om where to connect the negative and positive pole?? Or does it even matter how i connect it since it says ”polarity any”?

I would really appreciate some help since i’m not that experienced with electronics and hardware. The data sheet for the drivers are provided below.

39354148-B0FC-4611-B76B-920AB3A71159.png

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It looks like it doesn't matter. In the listing called "Functions" in your data sheet it says under the heading, "DC/AC"(the last entry in the functions list) - "power supply 24-110VDC polarity any/ 18-80VAC" . Never saw anything listed like that, but they should know their product needs.

Erikwikzen

Joined Dec 23, 2022
It looks like it doesn't matter. In the listing called "Functions" in your data sheet it says under the heading, "DC/AC"(the last entry in the functions list) - "power supply 24-110VDC polarity any/ 18-80VAC" . Never saw anything listed like that, but they should know their product needs.
Thank you for your reply! I was thinking the same but just wanted to make sure that was the case since i’m not that experienced with this kind of stuff! :)

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It does appear that the package has a bridge rectifier input. That means that the stepper driver common side and the DC power supply negative are not at the same voltage. So you can not use that same DC supply to power other devices that are connected to the stepper driver system, because the supply negative and the stepper driver common are not tied internally.
So the 5 volt DC supply that you use for the control signals must not have it's negative common with the stepper driver power supply.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The manual for the DSH600 shows opto-isolation on the 5v control inputs.
I did not have that manual convieniently in hand when I posted my caution. Not all products have such adequate input circuit isolation, thus my caution.
And if the stepper drive package has the rectifier bridge output tied to the frame then the caution applies to any other device that might use that DC power source.