PNP transistor Vbe

GERJACK

Joined Jan 10, 2023
Why is it that the measure Vbe value is greater than .7V and not destroy the transistor? I also breadboarded it and the measureed value remain the same. Quite perflex that Vbe should be 0.7V for silicon.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You don't show enough of your schematic to know what is going on.

For silicon, the junction areas are typically sized so that, at the range of currents the device is designed to handle, the junction voltage is about 0.7 V. That is not some rigid, fixed constant. Change the temperature, and the junction voltage will change (at the same current). Increase the voltage and the current will increase. Decrease the voltage and the current will decrease. Depending on the specific transistor and temperature, you can see Vbe down around 0.5 V and up over 1 V, particularly in saturation.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Why is it that the measure Vbe value is greater than .7V
Because the bottom transistor is installed backwards. In real life you should never have more than -5V on the B-E. So you might have hurt the transistor.
1675525802266.png
The arrows should all point toward ground or negative.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Quite perflex that Vbe should be 0.7V for silicon.
What made you arrive at that conclusion? The junction behaves like a diode and doesn't have a definite on/off voltage.

Typical Vbe vs collector current and temperature data for Fairchild 2N3906:
1675525863906.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As already noted, your PNP transistor is backwards.

But even if you fix that, it still won't work correctly because the PNP transistor works by pulling current from the load, which means that the other end of the load needs to be at a higher potential than the PNP's collector. Power your circuit with +/- 10 V supplies, or put a 10 V source on the other end of your load resistor.

GERJACK

Joined Jan 10, 2023
Thanks everyone. I have had no issue with the totem pole arrangement; Vbe is always <=0.7V; just curious about the inverted PNP circuit to the point that I actually wired everything on my breadboard. But considering Ron's reply, I agree that it may not have much of practical and safe use.