Please kindly help solving this circuit.

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I can't think of any method to solve this circuit other than a network analysis technique such as nodal analysis or (heaven forbid!) mesh analysis. Are these currently in your repertoire of analytical tools?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
No. You cannot use the resistances in parallel formula because you don't have resistors in parallel.

Label the current in each arm.
Then use Kirchoff's voltage and current laws.

Example:
1658882362302.png

I1 = I2 + I3
V = I1xR1 + I2xR4
I3xR2 + I3xR3 - I2xR4 = 0

Here we have three equations with three unknowns.

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
Your mistake is calculating 6 || 6 || 7 as though those resistors are in parallel. They are not in parallel; the 4 ohm and 9 ohm resistors are in the way and their presence prevents the 6, 6, and 7 ohm resistors from being in parallel.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
Just for the fun of it, I a ran through this using KVL with three current loops. But the answer I have is definitely wrong as it does not make any common sense. Can someone point out the mistake?

Attachments

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
Just for the fun of it, I a ran through this using KVL with three current loops. But the answer I have is definitely wrong as it does not make any common sense. Can someone point out the mistake?
You've made several mistakes, but if I point them out, it would give a complete solution to the TS. Let's wait a few days, and see if the TS comes back before I tell you.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
You've made several mistakes, but if I point them out, it would give a complete solution to the TS. Let's wait a few days, and see if the TS comes back before I tell you.
Fair enough. Never have I ran across this sort of problem in the real world and I have been an EE for over 30 years, go figure :). Looking forward to your response.

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
Yes, I examined some examples on youtube figured out what I was doing wrong. The correct answer in pdf format I will share with you on a private thread... Thanks for your input!

Last edited: