Please help with beard trimmer

Blibo_baggins

Joined Sep 2, 2019
Hi,
I have a babyliss beard trimmer that won't charge.
It had a little charge left so I know it was working. It ran out of charge after I disassembled it today because I kept turning it on and off to test.

Charging stand seems to work fine.
5.32v output is showing on multimeter.

I don't know anything about electronics really. I don't even know how to use the multimeter to fault find.
Please help.

Thanks20240229_121513.jpg

Attachments

Blibo_baggins

Joined Sep 2, 2019
More photos

Attachments

Blibo_baggins

Joined Sep 2, 2019
Note blue stuff on a chip, (zoom in) which is oxidation? I cleaned it very early with vacuum cleaner. Sadly a part got sucked up that is now lost. I kept the dust I emptied from the Dyson. I double checked but that part isn't in there. I literally saw it in the cylinder see through dust bin part of the Dyson before I took it off and took it down to empty into a plastic bag. I've still kept that plastic bag with the dust in it. So that I can check it yet again. Sigh. It's the past that delivers the electricity for the part that controls height of trimmer.

It's a waterproof unit, but I believe water must have gotten in given that there was blue stuff on legs of a or 2 chips, and very faintly and very little, white stuff on solder joints.

Last edited:

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
I have a babyliss beard trimmer that won't charge.
Always reach for Hamilton Beach.

No, seriously, those batteries don't last forever.

Some batteries are rechargeable only if they have some voltage still in them. If the voltage falls too low their internal BMS (Battery Management System) might fail to see the battery and therefore NOT charge the battery. You can try jumping the battery with a bigger battery, higher voltage but only for a few seconds. And even that can be risky. But if the battery is forced to take a minimal charge then the BMS might see the battery and allow recharging.

WARNING: Messing with lithium batteries is risky or even outright dangerous. Be careful and proceed with extreme caution. Or if you're open to the idea, get a replacement battery and solder it in. My cousin had me change two batteries in two beard trimmers last year. They wouldn't charge. So we replaced the batteries and all's well that solders well.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Just recalled that you sucked a component off the board. Since you don't have it and don't know what it was or what value it was then chances of repairing it are bleak. It might just be time to buy new. Even the cutters wear out. New may be your best option.

Blibo_baggins

Joined Sep 2, 2019
Always reach for Hamilton Beach.

No, seriously, those batteries don't last forever.

Some batteries are rechargeable only if they have some voltage still in them. If the voltage falls too low their internal BMS (Battery Management System) might fail to see the battery and therefore NOT charge the battery. You can try jumping the battery with a bigger battery, higher voltage but only for a few seconds. And even that can be risky. But if the battery is forced to take a minimal charge then the BMS might see the battery and allow recharging.

WARNING: Messing with lithium batteries is risky or even outright dangerous. Be careful and proceed with extreme caution. Or if you're open to the idea, get a replacement battery and solder it in. My cousin had me change two batteries in two beard trimmers last year. They wouldn't charge. So we replaced the batteries and all's well that solders well.
The battery had charge before as I said. It still wouldn't charge. The battery lasted as per normal when it had charge.

As for the part I lost, I already explained that it's an interface between 2 parts to allow electricity to flow to the motor that controls height adjustment.

I already wrote all these things. Yet in your reply, you act as if I didn't.

Last edited:

Blibo_baggins

Joined Sep 2, 2019
Also I have a Philips beard shaver I bought in 2012. It's now 12 years old and it's never had any servicing done to it. Battery is still the original. I barely use it, as I started trimming NOT shaving since around 2017. But I do use it maybe once every 2 weeks or so. Battery still holds charge fine.

Batteries last a long long time in devices like these.

I've had this bread trimmer I've posted about since around 2020. It's not that old and they're very expensive to just replace.

Blibo_baggins

Joined Sep 2, 2019
I forgot this. In September last year (2023), the beard trimmer I've posted about with photos above had the following issues:

A few days ago it started to randomly change settings while using it. Trimmer height, and it would lock itself.

I assume water has gone into the circuit area?

It is waterproof and it shouldn't be doing this.

I have owned this device for more than 3 years. I think I bought it directly from your company.

What would the repair cost and shipping be?

END OF MESSAGE

The battery stopped charging after these issues developed, although the height changing by itself issue kinda went away. I believe it's caused by the blue stuff, that you have chosen not to talk about on U1 which I only saw when I opened it, which was the day before I posted this on here. Till then, I had never opened it.

Is the blue stuff that I removed oxidation? Is it caused by water???Screenshot_20240305_160229_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
I already wrote all these things. Yet in your reply, you act as if I didn't.
It ran out of charge after I disassembled it
Some batteries are rechargeable only if they have some voltage still in them. If the voltage falls too low their internal BMS (Battery Management System) might fail to see the battery and therefore NOT charge the battery.
It ran out of charge after I disassembled it
Some batteries are rechargeable only if they have some voltage still in them.
A few days ago it started to randomly change settings while using it.
The battery stopped charging after these issues developed,
I don't know anything about electronics really.
New may be your best option.
No sense in chasing a rabbit you can't catch. Especially if you're not going to listen to what others are telling you.

UNWATCHED!

Blibo_baggins

Joined Sep 2, 2019
No sense in chasing a rabbit you can't catch. Especially if you're not going to listen to what others are telling you.

UNWATCHED!
You OK??!! I have repeated many times now that it had charge before and during dismantle.
I didn't dismantle it for MONTHS while it still had charge, but wouldn't charge DESPITE HAVING CHARGE.
So why do you keep repeating that the battery might not have enough voltage?
It had voltage because it was charged and turned on. Jesus Christ.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
I didn't dismantle it for MONTHS while it still had charge, but wouldn't charge
So why do you keep repeating that the battery might not have enough voltage?
Because the charger needs to detect sufficient voltage before it will charge a battery. Even if a battery has a charge it might not be enough to trigger the charger. You yourself quoted me using the word "Enough". If that doesn't ring a bell for you then I can't help you because I can't reach you. Even if it had enough to run the trimmer it might not have enough voltage to trigger the charger. And that's the last time I'm going to explain it. So don't quote me, don't tag me don't like my comment, I don't need to know you responded. I won't be responding again. Your battery voltage - which I'm sure it has a voltage - might not be a high enough voltage to trigger the charger.

I'm done with this.