Please help - Tc4429 blowing

woerr

Joined Apr 5, 2015
I need some help, I am blowing my inverting mosfet driver.

The circuit is a motor driver to run a 12v motor.
uno32 - H11L1 opto coupler - tc4429 mosfet driver - irlb3034. - 30amp dc motor

My problem is that the tc4429 chip keeps breaking, first it gets hot but still works and eventually stops working at all.

When looking at the signals with a oscilloscope i see what looks line a sine wave the distance between peaks is about 5mV

I suspect that the might be the fact that the battery powering the circuit is not connected well enough. I will test tomorrow to check. But I would like ideas what else the issue could be.

Link to the circuit.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-S6XnCqN9GQRUxYdlc2MzVwMlk/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

AfdhalAtiffTan

Joined Nov 20, 2010
How far is the driver from the mosfet? Do you use any gate resistor? Is the driver properly powered? Any chance of looking at scopeshots at all related nodes?

woerr

Joined Apr 5, 2015
Last edited by a moderator:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I can't see your pictures clear enough to see anything Google Drive has an interface that's difficult on a mobile device. That's why I dislike externally hosted pictures. Can you upload them here? Here are some tips.

woerr

Joined Apr 5, 2015
uploaded images

Also note that the chips blow only when a motor is connected to the mosfet

uploaded diagram

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
If I'm reading you schematic correctly, I see a problem.

What is the significance of the grey labels?

Your Gnd and Vcc appear to be between -15VDC and +9VDC. This is a supply of 24VDC; the maximum rating for the TC4429 is 18VDC. You're way over specs.

This is a sure recipe for magic smoke. Let us know if my interpretation is wrong.

Capture.png

Last edited:

woerr

Joined Apr 5, 2015
labels are wrong. it is 12v.

I seem to have fixed it by running separate wires to the battery instead of all on a single rail, System is running off a battery and alternator. the problem must be motor noise. please suggest a method to filter unwanted noise and voltage drop.

also a way to deal with back voltage from the motor, apart from a diode.