Pir circuit not working

Ross346

Joined Jan 25, 2018
. I just got a pir and I am trying to make it turn on a dc motor when it detects motion I am using a breadboard a 9v battery and no mosfets of resistors, I’ve watched many tutorials but nothing seems to be working

I followed exactly what this person did in the video so I didn’t know what I’m doing wrong thanks for any help

Also I don’t want to use a resistor because i didn’t have one but I do have a mosfet if that helps

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
. I just got a pir and I am trying to make it turn on a dc motor when it detects motion I am using a breadboard a 9v battery and no mosfets of resistors, I’ve watched many tutorials but nothing seems to be working

I followed exactly what this person did in the video so I didn’t know what I’m doing wrong thanks for any help

Also I don’t want to use a resistor because i didn’t have one but I do have a mosfet if that helps
In the video the output is driving an LED directly, meaning that the output voltage is about 1.2 volts, and probably the current is less than 20 milliamps. BUT what is shown is a PIR sysetm, not just the sensor. This system would need an external device to control anything at all. What would work easily is to use an external NPN transister that will not load the output. An MPSA13 device is one that I have used and it works very well. The emitter would connect to the system negative, (black wire and battery minus), the base would connect to the output yellow wire, and the collector would connect to the negative terminal of the small motor. The positive terminal of the motor would connect to the system positive (red wire). That should work.

Ross346

Joined Jan 25, 2018
Hi misterbill2 you are the most help I have gotten I don’t exactly know what u mean or where I would put it could you give a more detailed explanation I am only a beginner in this type of stuff

What I want to do is detect when a CD gets ejected from a PS4 and the activate the dc motor of that helps

Hi misterbill2 you are the most help I have gotten I don’t exactly know what u mean or where I would put it could you give a more detailed explanation I am only a beginner in this type of stuff

What I want to do is detect when a CD gets ejected from a PS4 and the activate the dc motor of that helps
And why exactly was that version not working

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018

Ross,
OK, I thought that my description was adequate. Sorry about that! You have an interesting application, one that I have not come across previously. I suggest that a PIR motion sensor is not a good choice for sensing a disk eject motion because the sensor responds to body heat, which neither the CD or the drawer has. The very simplest approach would be a very sensitive mechanical switch arrangement because that would not require any electronics at all. But it would need to sense the edge of the CD and not the surface.
An electronic method would be to use an LED and photo transistor arranged so that the CD would break the light beam, although the circuit would be simpler if you could arrange it so that the CD would reflect the light back onto the photo transistor. Then the increasing voltage could turn on NPN transistor to power the motor.

The reason that I am able to offer correct and applicable advice is that I have been an engineer designing industrial equipment for about 45 years. Also, I enjoy sharing knowledge. If I can spot a suitable circuit on one of my favorite websites I will send you that address so you can see just what I am trying to convey. Motor control by photoelectric means has been done by others, so you would have a working circuit to copy.

Ross346

Joined Jan 25, 2018
Thanks for telling me what I wold need ( I will wait for your circuit recomendation) but I also have another question do you know why the circuit in the video was not working you have been a great help

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thanks for telling me what I wold need ( I will wait for your circuit recomendation) but I also have another question do you know why the circuit in the video was not working you have been a great help
If you duplicated the circuit in the video and had it lighting an LED device then it should be working. If you had a motor connected instead of an LED then it would not work because any motor requires much more current than an LED, and the PIR module is not able to deliver that much current. Also, it may be that if you used a similar white block to do your experiment there was a poor connection to the PIR module and no power to either it or the motor.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Ross,
I have that PIR in a number of projects and as I have pointed out, it is only 3Volts out at a maximum current of 2 to 3 mA.
Look up NPN Darlington transistor as a suitable driver for the PIR output to a motor.
Eric

Ross346

Joined Jan 25, 2018
Sorry what I meant was is there a way to get the output voltage to be higher and is there a way to build that off of the breadboard

Thanks Eric

So I understand that I need the transistor and I know it needs to be connected to the output of the pir but I would also have to supply it with power too right Im new at this and not very good could you just explain where exactly it would go
Thanks

Ross346

Joined Jan 25, 2018
Sorry about the Wait I had to wait the hour because of 5 posts this is the link to amazon

Ok the link didn’t work so if you look up dc motor on amazon it’s the ones with red on the end

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Ross,
Do you realise the PIR PCB requires a minimum voltage supply of 5V.?
Added the datasheet.
If you can find a 5V supply PSU rated at least 1.5A, I can post you circuit diagram.

E

Attachments

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
This has to be the most crazy way to work this out LOL There are 1000 of PIR some have transistor switch built in I have one that lets you pick what you want . Then I got a bunch of these handy ones

Maybe one like this the TS has