Picture this...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I've noticed that several members of this forum love photography.

I'm starting this thread to share pictures that you may consider exceptional, or at least have some degree of aesthetics and/or difficulty of some sort. Think of it as pics that you might consider placing as your desktop's background.
The pictures posted should conform to the forum's policies, of course, and do not have to have been taken with advanced or professional equipment... even a good pic can be taken with a camera phone.

I strongly suggest that the pictures uploaded are either resized to take less space, or are posted as thumbnails or attachments, and not shown with their full resolution in the message's body, so as to minimize download time.

Here's my first, a perspective of beautiful purple flowers that seasonably fall from a tree in the park behind my house. I've attached both the reduced sized version, and the original at full resolution.

Capture.JPG

Attachments

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Sorry, on my tablet I can't figure out how to add my pic as a thumbnail when it's a pic I've posted here previously and it's sitting in my forum album. You've probably seen it before; I took it through a submarine periscope while transiting the Suez Canal. So here it is, the most epic pic I have ever taken and likely ever will take:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Sorry, on my tablet I can't figure out how to add my pic as a thumbnail when it's a pic I've posted here previously and it's sitting in my forum album. You've probably seen it before; I took it through a submarine periscope while transiting the Suez Canal. So here it is, the most epic pic I have ever taken and likely ever will take:
I've seen that shape before, somewhere.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Sorry, on my tablet I can't figure out how to add my pic as a thumbnail when it's a pic I've posted here previously and it's sitting in my forum album. You've probably seen it before; I took it through a submarine periscope while transiting the Suez Canal. So here it is, the most epic pic I have ever taken and likely ever will take
Great pic! I had never seen it, nor the building, before... it looks like the tip of an old-style bayonet

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've seen that shape before, somewhere.
What's that in the middle? Looks like an old school helluva gun but I can't put a finger on it.

I'd like to post my collection but I have a feeling that would be the catalyst of turning this into "mine's bigger than yours" gun pics thread ;).

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
What's that in the middle? Looks like an old school helluva gun but I can't put a finger on it.

I'd like to post my collection but I have a feeling that would be the catalyst of turning this into "mine's bigger than yours" gun pics thread ;).
That's for another site but you don't want to break into my rec-room.:D

That gun is an Hakim Rifle that fires a 8MM Mauser round, a real 'Teeth Rattler'.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Most people won't believe me when I tell them that I took this picture years ago, way before the word "smartphone" was even used, and people referred to their cell phones as "camera phones". My phone's little screen size was laughable by modern standards, and it was of the flip-to-open type. I have not even bothered to resize the picture, and I've attached it with its full resolution.

I took it while on a flight between Mexico City and Tuxtla, in the state of Chiapas. It's the Pico de Orizaba volcano. If you look closely, in the lower left corner you can even see the round corner of the plane's window.

Volcan.jpg

Compare that photo with this one, taken by one of Nasa's satellites.

5488747845_8a4167ecc8_b.jpg

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I expected this thread would blow up with submissions. Don't tell me it's dead already!

Let's see if I can fan the embers...

Here's a couple from Whistler Peak outside the town of Jasper, in Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada.
I took these in 2009 with a budget-price 5.0MP Kodak C340 ("point & shoot" I believe, before the term was coined?) that I bought in '04-'05.

I'm pretty sure those peaks in the distance are the farthest thing I've ever observed from the ground.
a100_1576[1].jpg
The town of Jasper is just so tiny & cute I could pinch it's cheeks.
a100_1586[1].jpg
Coolest maintenance job ever.
a100_1637[1].jpg
Snow coming, better leave.
Jasper%20National%20Park%20120[1].jpg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This was very difficult, to choose just a few shots. So many of my photos are vacation pics and are beautiful because of the location, not because of any particular skill of the photographer. Others with great personal meaning are not so interesting to others.

Anyway, here are a few recent favorites.

Bad to the bone?
IMG00633.png

Fourth of July
J800x600-03761.png

A vacation to the Canadian Rockies
T1735x1309-00722.png

My daughter and I at the University of Illinois, standing in for the Alma Mater. The Lorado Taft sculpture was out for a rare restoration.2012-10-27 17-51.png

alma_mater_new.jpg