Picture this...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

This new sensor is revolutionary; there are no two ways about it. The sensor features local dimming. This is tech that modern TVs use to create selected areas of light and dark. It’s the reason why newer LED and OLED TV panels have such bright whites and such inky dark blacks. This tech is built right into this tiny sensor.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
This is what you get when you microwave macaroni for "I don't know? Like, three-three-three-three-hundred?" minutes.
View attachment 231537
At first I thought it was a can of worms.... yuck!

My wife did that about a year ago... the oven's magnetron miraculously survived ... but the rotating glass tray broke into many pieces. Buying another tray cost almost as much as a new oven, so we gave the thing away.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hola @Yaakov
How close were you from the bird, when taking the second birds' picture?
Hello. I was about 15m away. I was using a Canon 500mm /4L IS USM with a 1.3x III extender for 700mm focal length. The body was a Canon 7D Mark II, which is an APS-C sensor so with the crop factor of 1.6x the effective focal length full from equivalent is 1120mm.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Sorry Yaakov, I hardly could understand much after 15 m. Far from knowing even the basics.

I googled your pictures in the Web. They are impressive and your choice of subjects as well.

Nice place where you live.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I usually use my monopod but sometimes just freehand it. That's OK for short sessions but not for extended ones. The lens is very large and the body is not lightweight either.
The tyranny of optics... it's physically impossible to make a good quality lens (at least with current materials) without it being large and heavy.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The tyranny of optics... it's physically impossible to make a good quality lens (at least with current materials) without it being large and heavy.
Yes, physics does set limits but three things have made it better: improved materials, clever optical design, and most important, vastly improved sensor/processor technology. The first two mean better lenses in smaller packages the last means a not-quite-as-good lens has the benefit of sensors that don't need as much light and processors that can correct distortion and aberration in the camera.

My bird lens is massive but I am willing to deal with that to get the low light performance and extreme reach.