Picture this...

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Where in the world is that?

What was the temperature at the moment?
It is up in Northern BC at the mouth of Skeena River. It was not too cold, probably -10C and actually hot in ghe sun but with cold wind when exposed. Here the river meets another channel and they go out rowards the ocean so the microclimate is challenging.

http://northword.ca/words/recreation/skip-mountain/

This link describes the trail but when I got home and compared it to the actual map, some discrepancies were found - wrong mountain is labled

20190208_135551.jpg

To the top is about 2 more hrs walking to gain 400 m elevation. It is an all day hike for sure.

The oldest coin I own (II-I BC). Tomis - Greek city state.

Tomisr.jpg

That's Hermes (cool hat eh?) on the obverse and a (original) Caduceus on the reverse. This was in a small bag of "uncleaned" coins. They look like stones and it is a real chore to clean them (usually involves some electrolysis). Then, if you have any detail at all (many times you don't), you have to make an attribution. That is, you have to identify the coin in historical texts, catalogues and documentation. In this case, it took me the better part of a year to find it, but I did...here (see #30). Imagine that maybe 2200 years ago, somebody was using this to buy a meal and now I am holding it my hand.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
A photo from my vacation. It was taken at EPCOT, across the lagoon toward Spaceship Earth from the Japan pavilion. It won an award on ViewBug, a site for amateur and professional photographers. I’m definitely in the amateur category.
F7344109-57CD-4987-BD96-E74983F25DAB.jpeg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I've noticed that several members of this forum love photography.

I'm starting this thread to share pictures that you may consider exceptional, or at least have some degree of aesthetics and/or difficulty of some sort. Think of it as pics that you might consider placing as your desktop's background.
I've just become aware of this thread. Here are some shots from my landscape portfolio. The beach sunset is in Bridgman, MI on Lake Michigan, the river sunrise is at a dam on the St. Joseph River about ½ mile from our house, and the sunrise over the dock is on the Magothy River in Maryland.

I have many more, and these are somewhat random but there were at hand on this computer.

brdgman-suinset.jpg central-park-dam-sunrise.jpg magothy.jpg

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
From the wildflower garden by the river this summer:

View attachment 171075
Thanks for posting, Yaakov. Your pictures are quite spectacular.

Apparently you made my wife a little jealous, so she asked me to post these, see what you think. I love photography, though I'm not a photographer myself. The deal between my wife and me is that she's the one who takes the pictures, but I've got dibs on titling them ;)... so here goes:

Thinking of Rembrandt:

2bddef57-60b9-407e-9714-38fc84d26a83.jpg

Flowers in the frost:
e705b871-61bf-4303-bb47-697781786895.jpg

The bug around the corner:
6d8d8e77-277f-4b80-9aab-2b8312e08848.jpg

Soft landing:

3261899c-abbf-44cf-9698-b1c8bc45176a.jpg

And btw, wifey's asking for your Instagram account ... she's keen on hitting the "follow" button. ;):)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks for posting, Yaakov. Your pictures are quite spectacular.

Apparently you made my wife a little jealous, so she asked me to post these, see what you think. I love photography, though I'm not a photographer myself. The deal between my wife and me is that she's the one who takes the pictures, but I've got dibs on titling them ;)... so here goes:
You can tell her they are very nice shots. I like the use of light, and in the case fo the pigeon, motion.
I don’t currently use instagram because, frankly, I don’t know how est to do that. There are limitations on how the display format works which make it hard for landscape stuff, and I want to make sure I know just how to do it before I start accumulating things there. I will be working on it in the spring, and I will update you.

I am very glad she liked them so much since she obviously spends a lot of time with her camera and has some idea what makes a good photo. We photographers tend to be a nervous lot when it comes to sowing our work in public because we see every flaw as if there was nothing else.

She might like this shot, which I took with a telephoto lens rather than a macro.

Y7D_2764-2.jpg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
In light of the excellent pictures shown, it is too bad it does not carry over to all those that post in the other forums requiring detailed changes to a machine they are working on and only supply a couple of lines for description!
A Pic is worth a thousand words!
Max.:eek:
I wonder if it his worth doing a tutorial on taking photos for technical assistance. even a phone can do a good job if the lighting and composition are considered. There are some particular angles that are helpful to have, that maybe people aren't considering when they submit photos. I suppose they don't automatically know what in the photo would be significant, so some clues might help.