Pickit 3 with PIC 12F629 not Programming

amitr12345

Joined Jun 17, 2013
hi everybody,

haven't connected anything yet to inputs or outputs. just wanted to see i can program the PIC MCU.

the only setup i made was a breadboard going from pickit3 to PIC mcu, attached diagram of connections.

i am able to connect with MPLAB IPE and MPLAB x-IDE.

but whenever i try to program it says the pickit failed to program device.. ??!!

don't know why, no real code i am interested in programing.
i have blanked the MCU, maybe it has done some horrible thing ?

would appreciate help

Attachments

amitr12345

Joined Jun 17, 2013
Thnx for the quick reply.
I dont use long wires, in effect i connect the pickit straight to the breadboard.

The external power supply is used, because otherwise the pickit doesnt find target device.

Since vdd and vss is connected to external power supply and pickit, i can safely say they have common voltages.

If blanking the mcu doesnt murder my mcu, maybe pickit or mcu is working partially, just for connecting, but not programming ?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The PICKIT3 can supply power to a target if this option is turned on. In the programmer menu on the toolbar i think. And only in this case should the Vdd be connected to PICKIT else drop it, but keep the common Vss. Also please do not be stubborn on this matter:rolleyes:. What you postulate here is wrong
Since vdd and vss is connected to external power supply and pickit, i can safely say they have common voltages

amitr12345

Joined Jun 17, 2013
From what i understand from u, should i disconnect the vdd from the pickit and stay with only 4 wires connected from pickit to mcu?

Is it a mistake to connect external power supply of 5v to chip and pickit?

amitr12345

Joined Jun 17, 2013
Just saw your post after postig mine, i understand that my connection to vdd from pickit is wrong.

Could i have damaged my pickit ?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hard to say. But I think if you can erase the device the PICKIT should work. Have you tried to disconnect the external 5 volt power supply. And used the PICKIT as power source? It would also help if you could post the error message that shows up after programming.

mitko89

Joined Sep 20, 2012
Does it pass the hardware test? There is a menu where you can adjust the options you discussed with t06afre and check what might be wrong. I had some problems with programming a device myself. In my case it was loose contact, check if the terminals are reliably connected and measure the voltage of the pins. Hope those suggestions might be of help.

amitr12345

Joined Jun 17, 2013
Wire connections checked and r reliable.
Voltage was 5v on the dot from power supply, checked between vdd and vss on the chip.

Is there any other hardware test via the mplab IPE software ?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Your error may very well be from not trying to actually program anything while attempting to program the PIC. Write some simple code and build the hex file to program it properly.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
It looks liked your project is set up for a PIC 12F609, but you are attempting to program a 12F629...

What is your build output?

amitr12345

Joined Jun 17, 2013
It is just the name.. Inside it i programed it for 12f629.

The problem is not a specific code.
It is programming in general. Theoretically i can put 0x3fff in all addresses and it should program the MCU.

Frustrating.. I hope someone had the same problem.
I am beginning to think that maybe the pickit 3 or MCU is faulty

amitr12345

Joined Jun 17, 2013
Just updating.. When erasing, seems it is a success, but when verifying blank it fails.

Read a post of someone that said that pickit 3 and 12f family are a little buged working together, has anyone experienced that ?