Pickit 3 programmer is not programming...

Dr34Dl0rD

Joined Dec 8, 2014
Greetings fellas. I´m having serious troubles with my current project because after long time of using my Pickit 3 programming tool, it stop programming...

Everything started like 3 weeks ago when I was learning about how to program a PIC device, and one day, my circuit stop working and the PIC was like passed out (there was no response from it). I thought that the microcontroller (a PIC18F4550) was damaged, so I decided to take it off from my original design a test it in other conditions. I asked for help from a friend and he borrowed me another programmer and in his laboratory, we could use that PIC to turn on a LCD screen and that worked. However, when i use my Pickit 3, the code is not loaded to the PIC, because it stands still like dead.

I don´t know what else I can try to proof that the problem is the programmer, but the thing is that I live in Venezuela and is very expensive to buy a device like that. Attached to this post there´s a screenshot that reveals the code and what the programmer log says about the process. what do you think i shall do?

I just made sure that was correctly connected and also I connected a 100uF capacitor between VDD and VSS in both sides and the 10k resistor between VSS and the Master clear pin and in addition, the pickit 3 can detect the device, de deal is: It never really Loads the code.

Thank you in advance for your answers

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What are the status lights showing, also the down side to the Pickit3 is has to reload the firmware when changing a picmicro IC type.
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The symptoms sound like something I experienced with powering target by PK3 (under programmer>settings>power). If you have external power, leave the box unchecked. If PK3 is powering, then be sure it is checked. Decreasing the voltage has been found to help with some chips and the PK3. Try using 4.75V. Finally, decoupling Vcc can be a problem Place a 0.1 uF capacitor between the Vcc and Ground on the programmer header.

John

Dr34Dl0rD

Joined Dec 8, 2014
Are you using 5V from pickit or external?
im using from external source, 4.95 V.

The symptoms sound like something I experienced with powering target by PK3 (under programmer>settings>power). If you have external power, leave the box unchecked. If PK3 is powering, then be sure it is checked. Decreasing the voltage has been found to help with some chips and the PK3. Try using 4.75V. Finally, decoupling Vcc can be a problem Place a 0.1 uF capacitor between the Vcc and Ground on the programmer header.

John
I´m using an external source of power (first a laptop battery that includes a transformer from 110 to 18V, then that was reduced to 4.95V using L78xx regulators (3 in cascade, the first is to 12 V, then to 9 and finally to 5). about the capacitor.. I´ve placed a capacitor placed betweend ground and Vcc already before posting that i had some trouble because the device didn´t detect the pic before connecting the capacitor, then i added that and now can detect the PIC, but it still wothout programming the device...

thank you for your help btw :)

Last edited:

Dr34Dl0rD

Joined Dec 8, 2014
What are the status lights showing, also the down side to the Pickit3 is has to reload the firmware when changing a picmicro IC type.
Max.
It has 3 lights: Power, Active and status. Before programming, the Power and active are on. after, the status light start to ramdonly blink and the status light turns off.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Can you post your circuit related to the ICSP pins?

My earlier experience with spontaneous failure of a PK3 after months of successful programming was solved by two actions: 1) The power supply changes already mentioned; and 2) Conversation with and replacement of the device by Microchip tech service. The problems became moot when I switched to using an ICD3. Although the replacement PK3 sits unused, I don't mean to imply the PK3 is not a completely adequate programmer.

John

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My earlier experience with spontaneous failure of a PK3 after months of successful programming was solved by two actions Conversation with and replacement of the device by Microchip tech service.

John
Mine quit after a couple of operations, the replacement from Microchip has worked OK so far.
Max.

Dr34Dl0rD

Joined Dec 8, 2014
so that means that my programmer is spoiled? :(
Latter i can post a pic of my ICSP but not now because my celphone cannot submit the pic to the pc without a cable (is not an smartphone).

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
so that means that my programmer is spoiled? :(
Latter i can post a pic of my ICSP but not now because my celphone cannot submit the pic to the pc without a cable (is not an smartphone).

Maybe, maybe not. The chip you are trying to program could be fried.

Did you verify you actually have power at the pin on your chip?

Dr34Dl0rD

Joined Dec 8, 2014
Maybe, maybe not. The chip you are trying to program could be fried.

Did you verify you actually have power at the pin on your chip?
well friend, i could program the same pic with another programmer i borrowed from a friend and i could use it to turn on a LCD screen and it worked. however i will check that link you have posted. Thank you :)

Dr34Dl0rD

Joined Dec 8, 2014
i Followed what you have suggested and i could check that in MCLR is only 5V and i´m using a 10k resistor. Do you think that i shall put a higher voltage or is okay like that?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
well friend, i could program the same pic with another programmer i borrowed from a friend and i could use it to turn on a LCD screen and it worked. however i will check that link you have posted. Thank you :)
So you cannot program with your PICkit, but your friends PICkit works just fine on the same circuit?

That would lead me to believe your PICkit is faulty.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

Your pic kit is probably fried then. Check your power supply and make sure it is stable. No sense frying another pic kit.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Do you have an oscilloscope? If so, look at the MCLR pin during programming. Be sure it is behaving as expected. My best advice, however, is to call the closest Microchip office. For me, that was Chandler, AZ, USA. They are almost anxious to send a new Pk3. They must have a sweet deal with FedEx, because it comes almost overnight. They may ask that you return your current PK3, but I think that is only to ensure you don't sell a non-working version on eBay. Quite obviously, selling PK3's is not a profit center for Microchip.

John

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Do you have an oscilloscope? If so, look at the MCLR pin during programming. Be sure it is behaving as expected. My best advice, however, is to call the closest Microchip office. For me, that was Chandler, AZ, USA. They are almost anxious to send a new Pk3. They must have a sweet deal with FedEx, because it comes almost overnight. They may ask that you return your current PK3, but I think that is only to ensure you don't sell a non-working version on eBay. Quite obviously, selling PK3's is not a profit center for Microchip.

John
Wish I would have known this when I blew mine up. ;)

Dr34Dl0rD

Joined Dec 8, 2014
i have a multimeter, however in my circuit i´m using as a source, a laptop battery and after that, a rectifier bridge and 3 L78XX regulators in cascade (i need to connect something at 12 volts) so i guess that is enough :( but i will check it anyway