50% off PICkit 3 In-Circuit Debugger / Programmer for PIC

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I see the Pickit 4 is out, I hope the features are not getting any lower as it did with going from ver2 to ver3.!
Looking forward to see what Dave Jones has to say!! :p
Max.

There is nothing fake about the offer. Every month the Microchip store offers discount deals. You need to get to a front page for deals like here: Not sure if they use a referrer field but it will be there for everyone as far as I can tell.

When you order (and you may need a painless account with them first) you will come to a point where a code can be entered and that is when you will get the discount.

Last edited:

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
Fair dues.. I already have three of these, so I didn't go any further!

Incidentally, the pickit4 is only £36 anyway... I may just get one to try.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
Wow.. You remembered I use MPLAB 8.xx.. I'm impressed!!

Yeah I know... I have been using MPLABX v 5 for a bit now.. I don't use AVR but I think I can now... I'm going to try writing an XC8 program for AVR to see if my licence allows it. The pickit4 supports AVR..

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Wow.. You remembered I use MPLAB 8.xx.. I'm impressed!!

Yeah I know... I have been using MPLABX v 5 for a bit now.. I don't use AVR but I think I can now... I'm going to try writing an XC8 program for AVR to see if my licence allows it. The pickit4 supports AVR..
Managed to order 2 pk3's .
I noticed that pk4 with mplab V5.01 using the pic18f8722 is producing a yellow indicator at programmers selection field.
It's not the money but time forcing me to use pk3.
Please inform us of your PK4 findings. (prog. speed and mpu and Xc8 compiler level used)

Picbuster

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I checked out this offer. I have a question.

On the same page were several other items, including an in-circuit debugger and a cable kit.

Are these necessary if I’m just starting out? My initial reaction was that the debugger was optional but the cables may be required.

Comments?

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
I don't know but the cable is a normal USB cable and the other site a 6 pin with a pitch of 2.54mm. (see attached file).
Layout below when not able to open the .odt file.
Remark: I never use the PK3 power ( supplied from PC USB = < 100mA ) always boards power supply.
Unless you avoid feeding the complete board via pin 2.
  1. Vpp/MCLR (Power)

2. VDD Target (Power on Target)

3. Vss (Ground)

4. ICSPDAT/PGD (Standard COM Data)

5. ICSPCLK/PGC (Standard COM Clock)

6. LVP (Low Voltage Programming)
Picbuster

Attachments

I checked out this offer. I have a question.

On the same page were several other items, including an in-circuit debugger and a cable kit.

Are these necessary if I’m just starting out? My initial reaction was that the debugger was optional but the cables may be required.

Comments?
pic3.jpg

No. You need a USB cable to your PC and connections to the PIC chip that you are programming. To give you some specifics...

On the right is a commercial (cheap eBay) socket that will fit a host of pics) and connects to the PICkit3. On the left is a similar socket that I made for pic32 chips and it is shown connected to the PICkit3. The other end of the PICkit3 connects to a USB cable and to the PC. I have connected the PICkit3 to PIC chips on a breadboard with leads, but the sockets make it easier.

Beyond that, you can build your circuit to allow in-circuit programming where the PICkit3 will connect directly to the circuit. It will not be able to power it unless its requirements are absolutely minimal. For the sockets where I am programming the chip only, I have always been able to power it from the PICkit3 (experiences may differ on that point).

All that being said, I would suggest that you get the PICkit4, but if you just want to get your feet wet, I suppose it's fine, but, going forward, it is going to be limited in which chips it can program.

I use MPLAB X IDE with included C compiler and Assembler...and rather like it quite a bit.

PIC3ss.jpg

That's my two cents.

Last edited: