Phased Auto /Marine Battery Regenerator Kit Release

Mosaic

Joined Aug 2, 2010
Hi All:
I am wrapping up a 5 year dev. arc of a commercial grade battery regeneration system for lead acid batteries.

A lot of the early designs were realized using open sourced resources. The final design (version 40) is a long way past what is available online or commercially.
The brains of the thing uses dual processors and is IoT monitored with full unattended operations, failsafe, contains complete battery rerating and reports on early rejection battery failure modes as well as offers hotswap- dual battery sequencing and float maintenance/battery backup for process continuity.
There is a large LCD display for direct observation of voltages, currents, temperatures, frequency, pulse widths, battery impedance, statistical regeneration rates, and process phase monitoring. Boot time (4 seconds) and runtime system diagnostics.

In the interest of the DIY community I want to release the main direct drive, pulse charging PCB & parts as a kit which is stable and very powerful.

All that the DIY guy needs to supply is a pulse frequency from a pulse gen., like a 555 IC with an adjustable duty cycle and a Aluminum plate heatsink & cooling fan. A 36V Power supply capable of about 8A is recommended, but 5A will do.

This optoisolated board reliably delivers high pulsed power to the battery and allows the DIY person to design additional controls/automation around it to suit their needs, or to run the pulsing 'manually' via monitoring the battery voltage & temp.There is a visual feedback 'lamp' that displays & dissipates the pulse kickback ( can reach 20W) which is an indicator of battery impedance health, brighter is better = higher CCA. An isolated crowbar system blows the main fuse should the lamp fail. MTBF is up to 3 years dependent on proper forced air cooling. AC Gate coupling & ferrite beads protect the Power FETs (avalanche rated) from excessive pulse duty cycles.

This pulse power board can continuously deliver 250W of RMS pulsed energy to a battery, it is 5.5" x 3.25 " in size. Peak current pulses can exceed 600A. No shock hazard. Quad cable to battery post clamp ratio mitigates cable impedance losses.

I'm considering a crowdfunding run which could include stretch goals such as supplying some smart controls for automated processing such as voltage and temperature limiting to prevent battery damage with automated stop conditions.

If this interests anyone I can provide more details & imagery/video as well as O'scope traces of pulse output including voltage and current.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I want to release the main direct drive, pulse charging PCB & parts as a kit
I'm considering a crowdfunding run
This site does not accommodate advertising, sales, or cash flow generators.
The only reason your account has not been blocked is that you did not actually mention a vendor or a price.
I can provide more details & imagery/video as well as O'scope traces of pulse output including voltage and current.
If you want to post details about design and operation, that's what we do here.

Mosaic

Joined Aug 2, 2010
Would the site tolerate a link to a hackaday project, as a forum thread isn't really the best way to illustrate a project use and assembly.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Would the site tolerate a link to a hackaday project, as a forum thread isn't really the best way to illustrate a project use and assembly.
Probably not. AAC's mission is to share information and provide help for free. Links to a site selling kits would not be allowed.

The Completed Projects section is where things like this could go but to post there we require a complete build package (schematics, PCB layouts, materials list, source code etc.) so that a reader can completely replicate the project on his own solely from the info posted. On occasion, we will allow the project creator to provide hard to get parts, PCBs etc. to members for that project as a convenience but not as a for-profit enterprise. All of that is taken on a case-by-case basis and usually only allowed for well-established members.

Hope that clarifies things.