Perf Board Wire Size

SimpleJoe

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Simple Question:
What is the largest or recommended insulated single core wire size to use on a perf board (individual copper dot style) and/or solderless Breadboard
Note: it will be mainly used for logic level currents/voltages so physical size is the only factor.

Thanks in advanced,
SimpleJoe

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
#22 works well on solderless breadboards; #18 is a bit too large. I've tried #28 (could have been #24) and it's a bit small. For point to point wiring, I use #30 for general wiring and larger for higher current capability.

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
+1 for solid 22AWG for general purpose breadboard jumpers and perf board connections.

As for the largest you can fit on perf board, I have found stranded 18AWG won't fit without clipping a few strands and stranded 20AWG will slide in nicely. I have not tried 18 gauge solid wire but with a .040" cross section it would have to be close.

SimpleJoe

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Thanks for this guys. No chance any of you know a good place to buy some online (in Australia)? All the stuff I have found is overseas and the shipping is 3x the price of the wire itself.

Thanks again,
SimpleJoe

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thanks for this guys. No chance any of you know a good place to buy some online (in Australia)?
What I use is telephone wire. The wires running from pole to pole along a street have many, many wires in them, all of the size you want. Next time you see a phone truck working in the area, stop and ask the worker for a length of it, they usually have short pieces in the truck. The individual wires (in side the cable) are of many different colors and all will work perfect for you.

SimpleJoe

Joined Mar 22, 2016
So would a regular old telephone cable (RJ12 connector not the RJ45 Ethernet style) will have solid core strands in it, as long as it is CAT3?

SimpleJoe

Joined Mar 22, 2016
My local electronics store only has CAT5 and above in both stranded and solid core, didn't know any com lines used solid... Learn something new everyday I guess :p
Cheers for all your help guys!

SimpleJoe

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
My local electronics store only has CAT5
CAT5 is #24. I use it in a pinch for solderless breadboards, but it's not optimal. The ends bend to easily while trying to insert; the insulation also tends to slip. But it's inexpensive.

Wish it worked better because I have several 1000' spools.

SimpleJoe

Joined Mar 22, 2016
I use it in a pinch for solderless breadboards, but it's not optimal.
Yeah I already have a fair few of the Dupont (I believe that's what their called) style crimped connectors that work with breadboards, I just thought I could easily kill two birds with one wire but it isn't a major issue.

Thanks again everyone
SimpleJoe