Perf Board Question

Altru

Joined May 22, 2012
Hello, I'm new with electronics and I am trying to make a contact microphone. I've purchased a 2 3/4 x 6" prepunched perf board with 0.100 x 0.100" spacing and 0.042" hole diameter from radio shack with no copper pads. Should the type of perf board effect the prototype I am trying to make? Considering the fact that perf boards with copper pads are there for conductivity, my concern is with the type of perf board I purchased, whether it is suitable for this project or not.

I'm going off of a makezine video tutorial. Thank you in advanced community for your insight and help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOJuCYgmPPE

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
A perfboard with no copper pads simply means that all electical connections will have to be made with the leads of the components and additional wire when required. Perfboards with copper pads allow components to be soldered to the board, but the electrical connections still require using the component leads and wires. Pads sometimes make the wiring easier, but perfboards can be successfully used with or without pads.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I very much prefer the boards with one copper pad per hole, but it can be done without the copper pads. The copper pads are more for mechanical stability rather than conductivity. Which kind of board, fiberglass or whatever, they all exceed your needs. It is impossible to buy a perfboard that is not adequet for this job.