PCB Traces

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by rocdawg, Oct 24, 2018.

1. rocdawg

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Hello All.
    I'm new to building out circuits and needed a little direction. I'm currently building a humidity sensor using a esp8266. The question I have is I have a pcb that I need to solder traces on but I've seen it done many ways.. I've seen traces solder on the board using solid wire (not insulated) but not sure what wire to use and what gauge. I'm a noob doing this and I liked the idea of wire vs. using solder to make the traces. Any direction would be awesome. Thank you

2. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
  3. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    Welcome to AAC!

It would be helpful if you posted pictures of some of the techniques you're referring to so there's no ambiguity.

If you're going to use wire instead of solder bridging, why not just do point to point wiring:
    upload_2018-10-24_9-57-56.png
    I'm assuming the "solder traces" you referred to are using solder to bridge between "pad per hole" perf board. Except this uses a combination of wires and bridging.
    upload_2018-10-24_10-5-38.png

For general wiring, I usually use solid silver plated #30 wire used for wire wrap. It's easy to handle and easy to strip using a wire wrapping tool. For higher current capacity, I use #24 solid wire from CAT5 cable.

If you're going to make more than one, laying out your own board may be less work. I did this one with toner transfer:
    upload_2018-10-24_10-9-18.png
    This board has a few issues; I was trying to find out how sloppy I could be with transfer and this board has an open between a trace and pad. I also missed the spot badly on a couple holes. It had been years since I'd made any boards and I was trying to remember how to get the "feel" for drilling.

The picture is from the component side. The copper side is visible because the board is thin FR4.

4. rocdawg

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Thank you .. This was very helpful. No lets see if I can not burn down my house or fingers. Thanks again for the direction.

5. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    One other thing.

Even if you're going to hand wire, using a schematic editor that also has layout capability can help you optimize component placement; as do well drawn schematics.

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010