pcb into isotop package

pager48

Joined Nov 25, 2018
Is it fine to stick a pcb with holes aligned to the 4 terminals right into the isotop? Rubber washers can be used to prevent warping the board.
isotop.png

Last edited:

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
R0193054-01.jpg

New one on me too. Here is a pic showing the captive nuts and screws to nail down ring terminals. Perhaps the OP is thinking of replacing wires with terminals with a PCB?

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Would like a small thin board with a gate driver and a few filter caps but it doesen't seem this is ideal especially the emi which can come out of the package. Replacing wires doesent seem to be any option since their current handling needs to be high for such a package.
Another minus, can probably assume it is a fairly hot location for a lot of applications. Perhaps voltage sensing right at the terminals? Fault sensing? I dunno... Maybe the OP could say?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the application has a current high enough that wires are not a choice then PCB traces are not likely to be adequate either. The very large problem with putting a circuit board under those flaps is that the flaps will be bent too sharply and develop stress breakage, which is a pain to have to deal with. I suggest reviewing the manufacturers application notes for mechanical connection to the device. They should be helpful.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I don't know if it is "proper" but it's the way I did it on the power board of my EDM project. By that, I mean the way jpanhalt said, the board goes on top of the tabs not between the tab and the nut. My traces on that part of the board were made the same size as the tab with a hole the size of the screw, using a 2 ounce copper board.

Pager48, the tabs are the actual current carrying part of that package not the embedded nuts. When you put the screws in and tighten them the nuts then come up to the bottom of the tab.

On my project to keep the board from being stressed I made a a frame that was screwed to the heat sink, an industrial type heat sink, not one of the small ones like are used on a PCB mounted device. The mosfets are mounted to the heat sink, and the PCB is then attached to the top of the frame by two screws. The frame is also on the same plane as the top of the mosfet tabs, to keep everything at the same level taking any strain out of the PCB. No rubber in any of the mounting.

This is what I mean by an industrial style heat sink -

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Dude, you're not making any sense. What is an "iso slot" What is an "isotop"? What is that thing in your drawing?
That ISOTOP package is widely used in power mosfets, IGBTs and even some diodes. They use them in motor drives , welders , plasma cutters, etc. Stuff that need to pass a lot of power. The base is isolated from the electronic parts so it doesn't need to be insulated from the heat sink.