Board burns

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Field PM magnet broke on a plasma flood gun during operation causing the controller to ramp the heater filament current to max (100A@5vdc) to strike a Xenon arc. The highest resistance point was one screw to the diode stack inside the unit.

Bad board on the left, similar board on the right. Completely melted the copper trace top and bottom.

Replaced both sides of the board connection with heavy terminal lugs, kapton tape and solid wiring to the traces. Back in business.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Got lucky it was just a board burn. Its a obsolete PS that's hard to find in working condition on the surplus market.

download.png

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Wow. nsaspook works with so complex, strange (and I believe somewhat dangerous) devices, the day he will be asked to design a flash light, he will need to stop and think for a while.:p

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Wow. nsaspook works with so complex, strange (and I believe somewhat dangerous) devices, the day he will be asked to design a flash light, he will need to stop and think for a while.:p
The generation of 'Magic Smoke' is a complex and dangerous process. If you burn a chip, please don't breathe too deeply.

The hermetically sealed smoke container is breached, resulting in a component that no longer works.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

A few small trace burns on a large multi-layer board from a 24vdc I/O short.

Drill out the pad and wire a jumper.

Last edited:

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I have a iMac video card that is burnt. But not the same way as above. It was intermittent so I put it in my reflow oven that has not been used for at least a year. Well, I guessed something was not right when I saw the smoke billowing out of it. The temp control has failed, and it reflowed it with vigor!
To make matters worse, my son wondered is it would still work, so like an idiot, I put it back into the iMac and promptly popped something else. The power supply or the motherboard (or both).
This was a real silly thing to do as I had just received the replacement new video card I'd purchased.
I was going to post a picture but sorry, the board is nowhere to be found. I must have tossed it.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The generation of 'Magic Smoke' is a complex and dangerous process. If you burn a chip, please don't breathe too deeply.

The hermetically sealed smoke container is breached, resulting in a component that no longer works.
I'm currently developing a quantum smoke collector (or QSC, for short), whose working principle is to individually trap each smoke particle and to track its history back in time and then build a virtual space-time path that will then allow the user to put the smoke back into the device in an orderly way. Resulting in the miraculous recovery of the malfunctioning chip. :D

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm currently developing a quantum smoke collector (or QSC, for short), whose working principle is to individually trap each smoke particle and to track its history back in time and then build a virtual space-time path that will then allow the user to put the smoke back into the device in an orderly way. Resulting in the miraculous recovery of the malfunctioning chip. :D
We tried that. The results were unsatisfactory.
IMG_20171219_174432217.jpg IMG_20171217_084708661.jpg
The smoke only collected on the surface of the devices and everything else within the Schwarzschild radius causing the anti-matter engines to implode.
2017-12-18_08-52-07.jpg

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
That board design would have been improved with slots cut under between the large traces under the green resistors.
And, doing that may resurrect the board still.