PCB Circular Ruler

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Gerber editors exist but are a PITA to use and so I don't recommend them.
But you don’t need them. So this statement is at least misleading if not false.

There are special customization programs you can use with Autocad for PCB design and gerber file output.
But you don’t need to use AutoCAD. You can’t make a statement and claim it’s true, when your assumptions are false.

Surprise me...
But using auxilary program won't be surprising.....I know you can do that.
I’m not going to argue further with someone who bases his comments on misleading postulates.

You don’t need no auxiliary programs.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Next Q: Is there any open source (free) software out there than I can use to generate or edit a PCB design and the associated Gerber files?

Thanks,
Wolf
Since you already know how to use Autocad, my recommendation would be to look for DXF to Gerber program.
Then you would just output a DXF file, feed it to the Gerber translator, and you've got your gerber file.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
But you don’t need them. So this statement is at least misleading if not false.
No...my staement is true...you can't edit a dxf file graphically with a PCB program. But you might be able to import a DXF in some programs.

But you don’t need to use AutoCAD. You can’t make a statement and claim it’s true, when your assumptions are false.
Sorry...but it is true.

I’m not going to argue further with someone who bases his comments on misleading postulates.
Look in the mirror...

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
DesignSparkPCB allows you to import a DXF file and scale it/convert it/fill it and select the layer you want it to be (copper, silk screen, solder mask - top or bottom.

@djsfantasi, you walked in half way through the conversation when someone said a gerber editor is not easy to use. You answered as if someone was talking about a PCB creation/editing software. The OP given a gerber file and now wants to edit the gerber - he doesn't (yet) have the diptrace/designSpark file. So, editing the gerber is not something that can easily be done - can't be done in DesignSpark.

ImWolf

Joined May 26, 2013
For the task at hand, I have been searching all over for a free DXF to GBR converter.... of which there are supposedly 100's available, but none to be found.

Wolf

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
No...my staement is true...you can't edit a dxf file graphically with a PCB program. But you might be able to import a DXF in some programs.

Sorry...but it is true.

Look in the mirror...
All I am saying (and I may have misunderstood the requirement), is that there is free PCB design software that can edit the PCB design and directly output Gerber files.

And it’s not AutoCAD.

I don’t understand what’s so difficult to understand about this statement?

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
All I am saying (and I may have misunderstood the requirement), is that there is free PCB design software that can edit the PCB design and directly output Gerber files.

And it’s not AutoCAD.

I don’t understand what’s so difficult to understand about this statement?
Not difficult to understand....I already knew that.
I never said you HAD to use Autocad for this project (even though you implied I did and called it misleading).

Please direct your remaining comments to the TS instead of me.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
For the task at hand, I have been searching all over for a free DXF to GBR converter.... of which there are supposedly 100's available, but none to be found.

Wolf
How can you say, there are none to be found?
I said above, DesignSpark -
DesignSparkPCB is free
DesignSparkPCB can scale and import DXF files
Once imported, the DXF pattern can be assigned to a PCB layer
Once assigned to a layer, the DXF can be edited and then output to the set of gerber files used to define a PCB.
I don't normally like to hold hands and post links - but here goes....
designspark.com

you'll have to import once with scaling set to 1:1, check the scaling. Delete, import again with the scaling you want to hit a specific size if you don't know the unit of measure and scaling factor used for the saved DXF.

ImWolf

Joined May 26, 2013
How can you say, there are none to be found?
Came across DesignSparkPCB while I was searching. System requirements include Win 10. I will never put that garbage on any of my machines again.

I will look for an earlier version.

Wolf

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Came across DesignSparkPCB while I was searching. System requirements include Win 10. I will never put that garbage on any of my machines again.

Wolf
Thanks you, now that I know you choose to tie one arm behind your back, I adjust the effort I put into solutions for you.
please let us know which other tools you reject. Any special varieties of Linux, screw drivers (Phillips, Torx, Roberts,...) or cork screw styles?
Best regards,
- A person that uses Garbage as needed.

ImWolf

Joined May 26, 2013
Thanks you, now that I know you choose to tie one arm behind your back, I adjust the effort I put into solutions for you.
please let us know which other tools you reject. Any special varieties of Linux, screw drivers (Phillips, Torx, Roberts,...) or cork screw styles?
Best regards,
- A person that uses Garbage as needed.
I'm quite happy with Linux for most things, but do have some older Winbloze apps I am still more familiar with, like AutoCad. Thing is, my choices for OS don't put hidden partitions on my drive and send my keystrokes off to "the cloud", like Win 10 does.

Thanks for your help just the same....

Wolf

ImWolf

Joined May 26, 2013
@ eetech00

I would like to change some properties of the design you created from my original image. I'd like to make the text larger (.100 high characters) and modify the lengths of the graduation lines. (.100, .200, and .300 from the 3.5 Dia. cutout.)

Not having any luck with Diptrace or Designspark.... can you tell me what software you used to create the board and then generate the gerber files?

Thanks,
Wolf

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
After you have done that can you convert the file to g-code?
Otherwise I will have to convert the gerber file to g-code myself. I will attempt to engrave it in aluminum.

ImWolf

Joined May 26, 2013
I'm still struggling to import a DXF file from Autocad into Designspark.... the scaling needs to cranked up to 1000x to be about the right size according to the Designspark coordinate system (not sure what size it really is). The circles come out nice, but the graduation lines and numbers look like a bowl of spaghetti.

I could probably write the g-code faster by hand than to go another route.

Wolf

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I'm still struggling to import a DXF file from Autocad into Designspark.... the scaling needs to cranked up to 1000x to be about the right size according to the Designspark coordinate system (not sure what size it really is). The circles come out nice, but the graduation lines and numbers look like a bowl of spaghetti.

I could probably write the g-code faster by hand than to go another route.

Wolf
Ha, maybe because you're trying to use DesignSpark on a Linux box since you seemed to be afraid of Mr. Microsoft.

Wolf

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but.. Etching? It's how some us nerds make PCBs at home. You could use the same process to etch a steel disc. Electo-etch or chemical etch with toner transfer. If you have a laser printer you can do toner transfer at home for free. If not, you can order a SMT solder mask for $20.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but.. Etching? It's how some us nerds make PCBs at home. You could use the same process to etch a steel disc. Electo-etch or chemical etch with toner transfer. If you have a laser printer you can do toner transfer at home for free. If not, you can order a SMT solder mask for $20.
I'm sure he'll get some perfect measurements off of a home-made board. Cutting concentric circles in the garage is a piece of cake.