PCB burn

koral

Joined Aug 21, 2022
Hi,

I have a non-working PCB that has burn marks at some of the capacitors. I am not sure though that the capacitors are broken. It actually looks like it's a PCB trace that has gone bad and eventually caused a small burn. I don't have a lot of knowledge of repairing PCB's, but I do know how to solder. My question is if a repair can be made on this PCB by resoldering the connection? I have tested the resistors, they seem to be fine. From the looks of it the capacitors also look ok, but I will have to remove them to test them. My theory is that the bad connection has produced the burn marks on the components, and that the components still work.

CM220820-134515001.jpgCM220820-132445001.jpg

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
It is very unlikely that a faulty trace caused the problem. It takes quite a lot of current to fuse a trace like that. What is the function of the board and what is connected to the damaged trace? You probably have a faulty component that is causing too much current to flow.

koral

Joined Aug 21, 2022
It is very unlikely that a faulty trace caused the problem. It takes quite a lot of current to fuse a trace like that. What is the function of the board and what is connected to the damaged trace? You probably have a faulty component that is causing too much current to flow.
The board is a control board for a gas burner. It lool

koral

Joined Aug 21, 2022
The board is a control board for a gas burner. It looks as if a hole connecting the two sides of the board is burned through. I've removed one of the capacitors to get a better view. I think you are right that it's unlikely that the trace has been bad, but considering that it's at a place where there is a hole connecting the two sides I'm thinking it's worth a try to fix the trace and see if I might be lucky.
I've just taken a few pics of the hole from both sides now that I removed the capacitor. From the side with the capacitor I put through a needle.CM220821-164435002.jpgCM220821-164412001.jpg

koral

Joined Aug 21, 2022
That will work but make sure there are no shorts or blown components before you plug it back in or you will have more traces to fix.
Yeah I suspect more components need replacing. It didn't help to solder the connection, but it also didn't cause any more burns either. As I don't have much experience with this, and the error also could stem from the main board, I think I will give up and get someone to fix it/replace it.

Thanks for your advise anyways, it was greatly appreciated!

koral

Joined Aug 21, 2022
That will work but make sure there are no shorts or blown components before you plug it back in or you will have more traces to fix.
Yeah I suspect more components need replacing. It didn't help to solder the connection, but it also didn't cause any more burns either. As I don't have much experience with this, and the error also could stem from the main board, I think I will give up and get someone to fix it/replace it.

Thanks for your advise anyways, it was greatly appreciated!