PCB/Art Package

Angel LaHash

Joined Oct 18, 2015
After a Software (MAINLY FREE, or Dam cheap) so i can DRAW Lines/O to a set distance.
Example centre of the circule is at 50,50 and its Radius is 15 (sorry for the spelling Dyslexic and it gets a pain after a while)

Basically i am wanting to make a 2 sided PCB, with holes to link each side, but its not a circuit more a graphic.
Also working on a small level the of about 30mm, so i need it to be able to lock within 1mm (not be calculated in pixels !)

This is what the graphic on one side looks like, i drew this in Second life, so its a 3D modle with No Real Hight to it
also needs to be smoothed out, with the gaps made smaller (due to the limits of second life in drawing) but i wanted some image of itdemo.png

Angel LaHash

Joined Oct 18, 2015
OK give me some time to get ALL the information
just wanted a graphics program for free that can do a 'O' 30mm or tell it to draw a line

well it wont let me UPLOAD them as they are STL files.. do have them in DAE File type but a lot bigger.

TOP.png BOTTEM.png

i think its just going to have to be one of them projects that ya have to do Solo.. thanks any way

Last edited:

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
I still use Sketchup which was owned by Google but later sold and changed hands several times. I am sick and tired of software which changes versions all the time and you pretty much have to start from scratch all over again.

The argument used to be that with commercial software you knew you had support. Now I am looking at it from the other side and it looks like open source software is more "stable" in the sense that it does not change capriciously every so often.

Regarding the OP, for a one time thing I would just use Inkscape or even Paint.net

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
If you want free PCB program then check out..
diptrace or kicad or eagle

if you want a free 2D cad program look at draftsight (virtually identical to autocad)

a PCB manufacturer is going to want gerber files which a regular cad or drafting program will not output..

Angel LaHash

Joined Oct 18, 2015
If you want free PCB program then check out..
diptrace or kicad or eagle

if you want a free 2D cad program look at draftsight (virtually identical to autocad)

a PCB manufacturer is going to want gerber files which a regular cad or drafting program will not output..
As you can guess the problem, Its not PCB as it has Curves and Rings, and it will need to be in a GERBER file

This is a 3Way Binary Switch, First designed as a 3D printed Parts, but the cost of the Conductive Printed part was too much.
So I changed it for a PCB Disc, One side is the Connections to the ARM that links them up
Other side is the Output.

44c26d10ec19d2e5c0e7466cf223111a.jpg d962ce2da78c90e1b039b43266baf28f.jpg
The Ground to 4th Floor has been Replaced with This ONE Double sided PCB board.

You will also note there is a 2nd Shaft in the middle, this was to move a Resistor.
So 3Way Binary Switch with a Vairable Resistor under it

I Designed this to replace the 5 Way Switch on a Stratocaster Guitar.
This will let you pick any of the 3 Pickups, also still have a Volume Control under it.
It can also be used as a Multi Tone Control, as its a 3Way Binary Switch it can Select between a Capacitor Range of 10nF-50nF, a differences of 30nF in 8 selections.
Guitar Tones normally go for 10, 12, 15, 22, 33, and 47nF (50nF) This switch will let you pick.

This will make the 5Way Switch usless and can be changed for a Phase Switch for the Guitars Pickups.

Last edited:

Angel LaHash

Joined Oct 18, 2015
I need to link the connections to output
the 3rd and 4th floor in the 3D printed version were to link bit that would join each sides of the PCB

Angel LaHash

Joined Oct 18, 2015
The Double sided PCB board is to Replace the parts from the 4th Floor to the Ground.
A through hole from to join the two sides.
Going from 1-2mm Thickness per disc to just one PCB board 1.6mm i think
As this is a switch, space is a must, smaller and more compact the better

Used to be 4 Rings with in it to connect all the Inputs and Outputs together, to cut this down, made the Arms, Arms so to speak drag along the tracks to make connection, and the spaces that would of been there, has not been replaced with the Output.
So freeing up space and making it so the tracks can be wider.

Why on the bottem of the PCB board there is FINs to let it have Through holes to the other side of the PCB.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I don´t understand, are the pads on the pcb supposed to make contact between each layer? Or are there wipers somewhere?

Angel LaHash

Joined Oct 18, 2015
All I want is to make a pcb
Simple terms ok
Pad under - connect to pads on other side - wipers go over pad like pads together

Can't make it any more simple
I've done electronic and am a electrician I just want a art package.. But instead I'm explain some thing I see as so basic to someone else

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The PCB *IS* the switch.

Sorry angel, I am already upstairs for the night so I can't try any of the PCB drawing packages I have, but I expect most could be smacked around enough to make circular patterns.

Perhaps I will be at my computer again tomorrow night.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I use the old Protel Advanced PCB v2.8 and I think it will do what you need. It's from the Win3.1 days, but it gives me a fine degree of control (despite some annoying artifacts that resulted from processor speeds getting much faster than anyone in those days really planned for). I think you can get it for free from lots of places -- the last time I talked to Altium (who bought Protel), they indicated that they didn't care what I did with my Advanced PCB copy, including letting everyone at the company I work for use it or giving it to all of my students.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
All I want is to make a pcb
Simple terms ok
Pad under - connect to pads on other side - wipers go over pad like pads together

Can't make it any more simple
I've done electronic and am a electrician I just want a art package.. But instead I'm explain some thing I see as so basic to someone else
So stop explaining and download a PCB program and get to work..
I know diptrace can do what you want.. Along with most any PCB program I suspect.
You can even sketch in draftsight or any program that can export dxf and import that into a PCB program.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
MSPaint does not generate Gerber files. Geesh.

Angel, the best I could do using Kicad was to generate a graphic layer Gerber with circular shapes on it. Now a Gerber file is a Gerber file, all the same except for the name of the file for the layer it is intended for. So one could make a graphic layer and rename it as a copper layer.

If there needs to be other features (circuitry) on that layer then it is possible to merge the Gerber files manually. Gerber files are just ASCII text files so notepad can be used, just check the final product with some other tool. GCPreview (I believe) is a free tool to do just such a check.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
This is exactly how I would do it. I just tried this and it worked great
Draw the outline of your shape in a program capable of exporting dxf files.. (I used Autocad but draftsight is virtually identical and free)
open diptrace.. file..import.. select dxf...select the layer you want it on (top) and check the "fill closed profiles" and done..
repeat for bottom layer and select "add" for import mode this time..
(might be able to import all layers at one time but I didn't try it)
Then create your PCB outline..
add any through holes or whatever..

export to gerber as needed..

I suspect you could do this in the pattern editor too to make reusing this exact shape a snap in the future should you need it.

BTW I HIGHLY recommend using itead pcb if you need just a few boards fabricated..
Takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive from China but pricing is the best I've found and quality is excellent..
http://www.itead.cc/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping.html
their gerber file requirements are here
http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/solutions/articles/1000156317-gerber-files-requirements