PC cleaner anyone try

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Actually, the original post is a link to a malware advertisement. I was hoping the mods would recognize this and delete the thread.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I second CCLEANER! it's a great tool, when used with caution.

Superantispyware is good, also. I rarely use anything often than these two.

Joey, I like you man. But you have a spot where you become Joey One-Note. And I can see it coming, so when expectedly your unusual avatar appears, I scroll right by the post. In certain types of threads, you've made yourself dispensable. Shame, because your contributions can be valuable. Fortunately, as described, it's obvious when a post can be scrolled on by.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Anyone tried this? I see on one review it mentions the program also goes into the BIOS and tweeks the over clocking which may cause a problem.
http://www.supertechconsult.com/1025/?chash=55dd9e82d702f
Max.
:eek:Really? tweeks the BIOS?

Yeah...I would avoid that one. I don't want any program making guesses with my BIOS settings. Automaic overclockers built into the BIOS by some MB manufacturers don't even work that well.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
another malware variant

The truth is, this post is about Windows. I consider your post to be such a tired old joke that it is beginning to seem like a hijack of the thread.
with so much malicious code on the internet (besides user ignorance), windows is the most abused OS by 3rd parties available

i'd like to see joeyd999 start his own thread on OS preferences and advantages/failings that come with it

for one, i'd be more than happy to contribute there

forums should be a happy medium and i hate seeing anyone get upset

/me emails a slab of beer to #12 :)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...i'd like to see joeyd999 start his own thread on OS preferences and advantages/failings that come with it.
Waste of my time. Most of the regulars here are beholden to Redmond. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why.

I've never understood why one must first pay money to buy a broken operating system, and then pay more money to have it "fixed". If they did this with autos or TVs, someone would get hung.

Edit: and then pay even more money a few years down the road to have it broken again.

Always, the 'most secure ever...'

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I feel you joeyd999...I admin'd unix, then PC-unix, then Linux for years, then MS, and still do today.
Hated to see MS proliferate... but it did. Linux is by no means perfect. It has its issues.
My recommendation: Choose your SW tools first, then, all thing considered, choose the best OS to support it.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
Linux is by no means perfect. It has its issues.
depending on peoples preferences, you sum this up nicely with the following

My recommendation: Choose your SW tools first, then, all thing considered, choose the best OS to support it.
'beholden to Redmond' not a term i've come across before but the context now understood

like technology forever evolving, education should also parallel

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The trouble with linux is the people that use it. They are not normal.

I have tried to use linux several times. The problem is that when you need to learn how to do something, there is a minimum of a couple dozen different ways to do it, with a dozen different programs to do it with.

And each linux user does it a different way. You will find out very shortly, that to understand the solution........................you will have to learn all the different editors, all the different repositories, all the different tools, and all the different CL techniques.

So you have to install and learn to use everything that everyone uses, which is everything.

For some reason, you are not allowed to do the same thing, the same way.

It never quits. Some people enjoy this. As I said, they are not normal.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
The trouble with linux is the people that use it. They are not normal.
the same can be said with windows/apple consumers, this argument is null. base OS in all is the same (except windows) i've found ms OS changes to be a bigger learning curve that linux variants

do we do what the rest of the pack does or do we do something original/unique to ones identity?

The problem is that when you need to learn how to do something, there is a minimum of a couple dozen different ways to do it, with a dozen different programs to do it with.
that would be slightly exaggerated, you use mouse or keyboard shortcuts?

So you have to install and learn to use everything that everyone uses, which is everything.
same for windows/apple products

For some reason, you are not allowed to do the same thing, the same way .
base code is the same over all linux variants from day 1. i believe you meant to type 'it doesn't do it the same way the other operating system does it'

It never quits. Some people enjoy this. As I said, they are not normal.
same for windows/apple products, same same...

we seem to have 2 states of habitual/expected/normal

Natakel

Joined Oct 11, 2008
Fan boy fun . . . it does get old. I use Linux when it does what I need. I use Windows for most things, as most things are done with it (especially gaming). I've used Apple OS's in the past but not with the frequency of the other two. I like them all.

All are good for some things, none are good for all things. All have their issues, and not every OS is practical for everyone. Linux nor apple are impervious to malware nor to system crashes due to code failures or poor quality software. Windows has a larger share of these problems because they have a larger share of the market, and for every one program that will run on a Linux OS, there are a 1000+ that will run on a Windows OS.

In my humble opinion, the only thread that a suggestion for one OS over another should appear in are threads where such a suggestion was requested. To pop up out of the blue and take the time to post something utterly useless shows a lack of respect for the OP in particular and the forum in general.

Primarily I use windows . . . I am currently using Windows 7 on my latest computer build. I can't speak to the program that the OP asked about (the actual point of this thread) . . . but I use Avast antivirus, SpywareBlaster, run Malwarebytes every week or so, and run a cleaning program like CCleaner or Wise Disk Cleaner. I have virtually zero problems with crashes and zero problems with virus or malware activity. I also practice safe browsing, and if something I am doing requires me to venture into iffy territory I do it using a virtual PC that can be deleted and replaced in minutes. Instead of using a program like asked about, I suggest the OP look into the free programs I have mentioned, and look for some sites that can teach safe surfing habits. I can't suggest any such sites - what I know I learned the hard way. I can suggest:

--never open an attachment in an e-mail unless you were expecting it. Even if it's from a friend . . . check with them first.

--never click a blind link.

--If a window pops up while surfing, wanting you to press Yes or No to some program or whatever . . . don't press either. Open Task manager and kill it from there.

--Look into a back up program like Easus and create a back-up image of your system. Update it at least every month or so (more often if you keep files on the computer that are mission critical).

--Turn on Windows Auto-update and set it to automatically install critical security updates

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Fan boy fun . . . it does get old...
Yet you prattle on and on about all the wonderful software you need to install to lock down your fav most secure OS ever -- followed by all the care you must still take to avoid catastrophe.

Let me say this one more time:

To whom it may concern,

I fully expected this thread to be deleted shortly after its conception, because the first post was a link to an ad for malware. I figured the mods would not want the forum to be complicit in helping to spread this kind of crap around.

With that said, I did not think it mattered a wit what I wrote -- if anything at all -- so I made a stupid joke about Linux being the solution for that other malware that is Windows. While this is something that I sincerely believe, it was a joke nonetheless.

I am truly sorry for having offended the sensibilities of the true Redmond Believers. Yes, I am a MS denier -- a heretic if you will.

Allow the burning to begin.