WIN10 PC. Free total cleaner?

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
"Spybot Search and Destroy" is an effective anti-malware tool. Be sure to run the scan while disconnected from the internet. The free version pairs well with popular antivirus software.

As for a general cleaner? No such thing. Windows is a highly fragmented operating system. I recommend deleting all partitions and reinstalling windows with a USB stick every 6 months or less. The USB stick option is also now fully supported by Windows 10.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
"Spybot Search and Destroy" is an effective anti-malware tool. Be sure to run the scan while disconnected from the internet. The free version pairs well with popular antivirus software.

As for a general cleaner? No such thing. Windows is a highly fragmented operating system. I recommend deleting all partitions and reinstalling windows with a USB stick every 6 months or less. The USB stick option is also now fully supported by Windows 10.
Needing to reinstall the OS every 6 months is totally insane. I've had Linux systems installed for nearly 20 years, with systems updates to the most recent that have never needed a total reinstall.

Windows is fundamentally broken.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Needing to reinstall the OS every 6 months is totally insane. I've had Linux systems installed for nearly 20 years, with systems updates to the most recent that have never needed a total reinstall.

Windows is fundamentally broken.
I'm a Linux fan but Windows has a monopoly on the consumer market. Like my brother says, people are unwilling or unable to learn something new. The amount of infrastructure and training required to replace Windows is nuts.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
hello.

zorin os seems to be an easy alternative for windows and mac os:
https://zorin.com/os/

bertus
It's another fly-by-night Ubuntu based distribution dressed in a pretty website.

Stick with the official flavors -- much better community support.

Personally, I like straight Ubuntu for servers, Ubuntu Unity for my laptop, and Ubuntu Budgie for my desktops.

Also, Ubuntu Studio for my daughters DAW.

Last edited:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I use Microsoft Edge as my main search engine. I found that Google was far too intrusive and used up far too much memory and disk space. To keep my PC running, I delete the search engine History and run Disk Cleanup about once a week. I also check the task manager occasionally and delete any applications that I don't recognize, that are running in the background.
Even with my XP computer with updates turned off, I still have clean it up occasionally to keep it running.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm a Linux fan but Windows has a monopoly on the consumer market. Like my brother says, people are unwilling or unable to learn something new. The amount of infrastructure and training required to replace Windows is nuts.
The amount of BS to live with Windows is nuts IMO. I understand the need for that, but that doesn't justify the crap from MS with forced upgrades of perfectly good hardware, constant OS rot, stealth program installs and at times, just bad software.

boostbuck

Joined Oct 5, 2017
The only PC cleaner I now use, after faffing around for many years, is a clean reinstall.

Not only does it get into all the impossible-to-reach areas of windows, but as you reinstall the apps you had it forces you to rethink what you need which results in a much slimmer outcome.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The only PC cleaner I now use, after faffing around for many years, is a clean reinstall.

Not only does it get into all the impossible-to-reach areas of windows, but as you reinstall the apps you had it forces you to rethink what you need which results in a much slimmer outcome.
Yes, going nuclear works with Windows. The IT guys at work don't even try to fix Windows PC issues, the just reimage your PC. USB drives are restricted due to security and virus threats, so keep everything on a remote drive unless you want to risk files disappearing one rainy day.

LadySpark

Joined Feb 7, 2024
I have a WIN10 laptop that is unusable due to congestion, everything runs but bogged down to an unusable speed.
What kind of laptop is it? How much ram does it got?
A lot of the store bought laptops had not enough memory and used a slow mechanical hard drive that would beat itself to death because of low ram and wear out the drive managing a big swap file. Which in turns cause it to get slower.

But for Windows Os, I use Windows Server with desktop experience. Its the only versions that have clean installs. Plus a lot of people sell the individual keys cheap.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It's another fly-by-night Ubuntu based distribution dressed in a pretty website.

Stick with the official flavors -- much better community support.

Personally, I like straight Ubuntu for servers, Ubuntu Unity for my laptop, and Ubuntu Budgie for my desktops.

Also, Ubuntu Studio for my daughters DAW.
I am using opensuse tumbleweed, one of the major linux distributions.

bertus

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Anyone know of, or has used a decent total PC cleaner that is free?
Or suggestions?
Windows requires regular maintenance that most users are not aware of or don't do. Especially after removing or installing a program. I've tried a lot of these programs and haven't found a good one that's free.
A good maintenance tool is CCleaner. This does exactly what you are asking. Its not free except for a trial period. But its worth the cost. Another good program, but more expensive is Norton Utilities.
These programs fix registry issues, scan/update drivers, and general maintenance of programs and program support files, like logs, etc.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
decades ago (80's and 90's) i loved Norton tools. small, powerful, completely another level... just what was needed.
Sadly the name i trusted and admired was tarnished by abomination known as Norton Utilities...
the downward spiral continued and for past 1/4 of the CENTURY one could not pay me enough to install something named Norton. most of the software i see nowadays is complete trash. just couple of weeks ago i tried to use Acronis to make backup of an old robot HDD (just in case). what a colossal letdown...