Parts for a house insulation test box

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A whole separate idea is a thermal sensor camera used to spot warmer points from outside. That would allowyou to see heat leaks directly, at least from the outside.
I know that some of the early TV camcorders could see other than visible light, not sure just what they could see. Could that be useful?? An IR camera that did see warm spots would be very useful in an insulation addition project.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
A whole separate idea is a thermal sensor camera used to spot warmer points from outside. That would allowyou to see heat leaks directly, at least from the outside.
I know that some of the early TV camcorders could see other than visible light, not sure just what they could see. Could that be useful?? An IR camera that did see warm spots would be very useful in an insulation addition project.
Room temp range is mid-IR (7000 to 14000 nm). These wavelengths do not transmit through regular glass lenses. You need a thermal imaging camera. You can buy a camera that plugs into your phone for about $200.

If you want to illuminate an area with near IR, then some cameras (like the Raspberry Pi Camera with no IR filter (Noir camera) can sense the near ir illumination but that is not helpful to the OP.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Best things since sliced bread. About 5 years before I retired 10 years ago I convinced my company to buy a top of the line Fluke thermal imaging camera. While far from inexpensive at about $4K it saved me countless hours and countless hours of technician time also. Today I see inexpensive off the boat imports but haven't a clue how well they perform. I am seeing some thermal cameras where you can roll your own. All things considered if I want to see leaks in thermal insulation I see thermal imaging as a way to go.

Ron

StrongPenguin

Joined Jun 9, 2018
We have an Elma Flir E5-XT (around 2k $) onboard, that we use to check the exhaust pipes from the engines. I was thinking about borrowing it before I start insulating the house (which I have yet to buy, but hopefully soon..) and then take thermal pictures afterwards also.