Ordinary evil...

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I took the OCQ-150 test used by Dr. Paulhus, and with the full knowledge that the first liar doesn't have a chance, I'll reveal that my score was 73.3.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
That doesn't mean I'm anti-social, and I can swear you don't have anti-social personality disorder.
It is literally impossible for a regular contributor to have that diagnosis. They simply aren't wired to act benevolently unless they have a co-morbid like Machiavellian motives, and that $h1t doesn't fly here.
Oh sure go and ruin my self image. :p

This week I and about 2/3 of the people I work with got laid off. That was Tuesday for me. Thursday I went back to turn in my work uniforms and drop of a O-scope I had said I would give to one other guy I worked with.

My former boss was just bewildered that I had zero ill will against him or anyone else on the company and insisted on still giving an O-scope to a guy who kept his ob over me loosing mine.
I just thought that when compared to some of the crap I have been through in life getting upset about a job layoff is nothing. At least this time I didn't have to fight to prove I was not guilty of some absurd actions that were being used to try and fire me to protect someone else's undeserving ego and job.

On the way out he commented to probably not get too comfy with being laid off. Sounds like I am on the short list of people that will get asked back once things get going again. Dammit. They just can't let a guy get comfortable anywhere can they? :rolleyes:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Oh sure go and ruin my self image. :p

This week I and about 2/3 of the people I work with got laid off. That was Tuesday for me. Thursday I went back to turn in my work uniforms and drop of a O-scope I had said I would give to one other guy I worked with.

My former boss was just bewildered that I had zero ill will against him or anyone else on the company and insisted on still giving an O-scope to a guy who kept his ob over me loosing mine.
I just thought that when compared to some of the crap I have been through in life getting upset about a job layoff is nothing. At least this time I didn't have to fight to prove I was not guilty of some absurd actions that were being used to try and fire me to protect someone else's undeserving ego and job.

On the way out he commented to probably not get too comfy with being laid off. Sounds like I am on the short list of people that will get asked back once things get going again. Dammit. They just can't let a guy get comfortable anywhere can they? :rolleyes:
Congrats... you have a very positive attitude in life... some people never develop it to the level you've reached

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Congrats... you have a very positive attitude in life... some people never develop it to the level you've reached
ARRRGGG.... :oops: Now I have to move pillage and run amok up to the top of tomorrows things to do list to try and balance this out a bit. :p

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Not sure if this article qualifies 100% into the scope of this thread... but it's definitely worth mentioning... I wonder if I was ever that stupid and ungrateful when I was a teen?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You'll likely enjoy this episode of Radio Lab, particularly the middle segment about brain structure and criminality. I found it fascinating and disturbing.

You said earlier that you enjoy studying human nature. I also found this to be my favorite topic in business school, particularly the human flaws that cause them to predictably make bad choices. A lot of the study of economics relies on the simple premise that people will, on average and in most situations, act in their own self interest. That's why it's so fascinating to identify the situations where this is reliably untrue. The seminal work in this area was begun by Kahneman and Tversky. A more recent and more readable descendant of that work is the book Nudge.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
You'll likely enjoy this episode of Radio Lab, particularly the middle segment about brain structure and criminality. I found it fascinating and disturbing.

You said earlier that you enjoy studying human nature. I also found this to be my favorite topic in business school, particularly the human flaws that cause them to predictably make bad choices. A lot of the study of economics relies on the simple premise that people will, on average and in most situations, act in their own self interest. That's why it's so fascinating to identify the situations where this is reliably untrue. The seminal work in this area was begun by Kahneman and Tversky. A more recent and more readable descendant of that work is the book Nudge.
Thanks for the tip. That Nudge book seems interesting.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's literally a textbook on how to manipulate people, so it's nice to know when those tools are being used on you.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It's literally a textbook on how to manipulate people, so it's nice to know when those tools are being used on you.
So if I were to buy the book... I'd be manipulated by its author.. and if I didn't, I'd be manipulated by the manipulators that don't want me to know I'm being manipulated... :eek:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Seriously now... the only reason I haven't bought it is because I still have 10 or 12 books on queue... though I've placed that book on my wishlist anyway.
BTW.... I found this site by accident. It seems interesting, at least for a read-aholic like me...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
This is a fascinating article dealing with public shaming... It's kind of long, but it makes reading it even more interesting nevertheless.
@#12 , I have a feeling you might like to check it out too.

Maybe I'm just too sentimental, but every time I see something like this happening in the news, I can't help but imagine all that crowd of self-righteous creeps as moral piranhas... mindlessly attacking their victim in a humiliation feeding frenzy...

Last edited: