OR4 is no more!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I prefer not to die at the hands of a rifleman hovering overhead in a helicopter.

Granted, the whole timberwolf/gray wolf story is a long and controversial one across all of the northern states.
He could have died slowly in great pain as he was pretty old. An expert from the ODFW ended their lives quickly.
http://dfw.state.or.us/news/2016/03_march/033116.asp
Morgan believes the Imnaha group of wolves could be splitting up and that age and physical condition may be playing a role in the depredation. The alpha male is nearly 10 years old and the alpha female has been known to limp since she first appeared a few years ago. “As wolves grow old, or if they are injured, they are unable to hunt traditional wild prey as they have in the past,” said Morgan. “This could be playing a role in the pack’s recent behavior.”

From the OP link
There is good reason to believe OR4 was cast out of his pack early this year, and his decision to move into livestock calving ground was borne of the need of an old, slowing, and dull-toothed male—no longer able to bring down elk—to fend for his hobbled mate, to whom he was endearingly loyal, and his yearling pups.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/odfw/sets/72157623481759903/

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I prefer not to die at the hands of a rifleman hovering overhead in a helicopter.
I recommend you do NOT attempt to rustle some cattle in the western states.

I know whenever I traveled down the road and a coyote was seen, typically they were running flat out, because they were always under the gun. Alot of pickups had gun racks with weapons where I was ... including mine.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I recommend you do NOT attempt to rustle some cattle in the western states.

I know whenever I traveled down the road and a coyote was seen, typically they were running flat out, because they were always under the gun. Alot of pickups had gun racks with weapons where I was ... including mine.
I've lived in a few states where a Ford F150 without a gun rack is a special order. I know what you mean.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Would you prefer to die in the hidden room under my shop over a period of weeks or more where I laugh maniacally as I toss hungry angry kitties down at you at random intervals? o_O

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
For all that - a violent death is, as a rule, far kinder than a natural one!!!:eek::(

Best regards
HP
It depends. I've witnessed several natural deaths. Some slip away quietly and some more labored and painful in the last days/hours. A wolf in the wild will usually go out with some glory - look for another pack to rumble with. It isn't slow. The wolf in post #1 was part of a lone pack (only pack to cross a river) so he may have gone out slowly.

http://www.wolfsongnews.org/news/Alaska_current_events_3015.html

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I used to have livestock. Answer is to make strong and secure fencing (min 5ft high). That way nothing gets in and there is never a need to go and kill other animals who where feeding.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Well better put some fencing in then.
That would raise the price of beef, cause people to eat less beef, get healthier, need less Lipitor, cause Healthcare companies to be less profitable, cause my Vanguard Health Care mutual fund in my retirement plan to grow at a less rapid rate, causing me to have to work longer before I retire (and at the same time causing me to live longer as a result of eating less beef and furthering my need to work longer to pay for my additional time as a retiree).

So, if you haven't figured it out already, That is a crazy idea!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It has to do with amount of land. There are ranches in the USA it takes over a day to drive across. These are vast open spaces.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
@GopherT

Haha, funny thing is that I dont eat beef (neither does my family). The reason was logical at the time but not anymore: Ever since there where outbreaks of CJD mum became phobic of beef and ever since has avoided ALL beef products (including gelatine).

In the UK, DEFRA has a very specific policy for this type of incident (for example if someones dog gets into your field and eats your chicken). People must control their animals and not let them get into farm areas and livestock areas but at the same time those who are responsible for the farm areas must ensure adequate protection so that animals cannot get in.

So for example, you are withing your rights to take out a fox or dog if they are eating your chickens but if you dont have fencing you can face jail time for killing the attacking animal.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
@Wendy

That is not a good enough reasons. Plus no animal needs THAT amount of roaming space. Here in the UK we have sheep and cows, they seem to cope with what they have and their areas are all fenced. Plus in these ranches they could make....smaller areas!