Opinion: Video Surveillance Camera

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I have a 4 channel HD DVR. Currently have a single camera on the system and want to upgrade by adding at least one more camera, probably two and possibly going with three additional cameras total. I'd like an opinion on a good camera, not wireless, one that operates on a 12 volt supply and feeds its video back to the recorder via twisted pair OR coax.

Additionally, is a twisted pair of wires better than a coaxial cable to conduct the video feed back or do I want to go with coax? My current camera has twisted pair wiring with twisted pair power to the unit.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
one that operates on a 12 volt supply and feeds its video back to the recorder via twisted pair OR coax.
Coax and 12V describes just about all of them. If you want to run over twisted pair, you'll need a balun to match impedance:
upload_2018-2-6_10-40-16.png
The cables for my cameras have BNC for video and plugs for power.

Don't have any suggestions for cameras. I discovered after the fact that my camera resolution is too low. It has served it's main purpose, but I'll be upgrading to a better system one of these days.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Which would be better; coax or twisted pair?
I have no opinion. My cables are 50-100 feet and they're not high quality. Eight cameras were included with my system and they came with 50 foot combo video/power cables.

I'm considering running a Cat5 cable to my barn that's about 200 feet away from where my recorder is. That's mainly for convenience because I can run video and power for several cameras in one cable.