Opinion on STM8 micros?

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hi all,

So I have been playing with STM8 micros and find them rather interesting. But whats your opinion on STM8 and how do you think it compares to others such as PIC and AVR?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I have only just had a little play so far but they are hard to beat for value as a USB equipped board can be got on Ebay for about $1.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STM8S10...499016?hash=item41c87cd748:g:VXsAAOSwh1hZ8rPU
As far as I know, this is a pretty good value for money, probably one of the best. Some of my products use PIC32 chips and some others AVRs. So far none use the STM8 but it may be worth while having a better look.
Either way, getting to know a wide range of processors can only be good. Grab some and see how you go.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I haven't read the data manuals, but it looks like a comparable processor to a PIC or AVR. However, the price you can get it for is pretty impressive! I looked on eBay, and you can get one on a PC board with USB interface, in the same outline as an Arduino Nano, for $US0.99 including shipping, if you're willing to buy direct from China. And you can get a variety of free compilers for the chip. But I can get a simple project running on a PIC in less than half an hour; how much work should I do to change to some other processor, even if that one is "better"?

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
In all fairness, I am using a clone ST Link debugger and while it took a day to figure out some issues relating to bit manipulation I had no problems installing STVD, the USB programmer, getting a simple flashing light program up and running

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I think the STM8 has more chance of just....working.... whereas a PIC can be really particular with its peripherals. For example, when you enable the UART on the STM8 it starts working (takes over the IO automatically) but on the PIC you have to configure the I/O pins, make sure error bits are cleared etc. I have also noticed that the STM8 has a much higher MIPS than PICs in general

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
I haven't read the data manuals, but it looks like a comparable processor to a PIC or AVR. However, the price you can get it for is pretty impressive! I looked on eBay, and you can get one on a PC board with USB interface, in the same outline as an Arduino Nano, for $US0.99 including shipping, if you're willing to buy direct from China. And you can get a variety of free compilers for the chip. But I can get a simple project running on a PIC in less than half an hour; how much work should I do to change to some other processor, even if that one is "better"?
I bought a few of these from an AliExpress vendor last year (66 cents each) and the vendor sent me an extra one for free. Please note that the micro-USB connector is 'power' only.

It's an interesting architecture that allows running programs from ROM or RAM (see below) and I thought it might be worth investing some time to learn in order to use an inexpensive, almost disposable, uC in some simple one-off projects.

Cheerful regards, Mike
STM8S103F3 Board Schematic.gif
STM8 Memory.png

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
If programming ease is what you're looking for....just wait a few years. The IDE interfaces will soon just have a function symbol table......you just put the functions you want in order.

Common programming will no longer require much skill. It will be like using a telephone.....everyone will do it.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I bought a few of these from an AliExpress vendor last year (66 cents each) and the vendor sent me an extra one for free. Please note that the micro-USB connector is 'power' only.
Well then, that significantly reduces the attraction. I assumed that if there was a USB connector, it could be programmed and communicate over that same port, the way an Arduino can. If it needs some other piece of apparatus to load code and talk to a computer, it's not so tempting.

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
That was my reaction, too. However, I discovered that the little ST-LINK programmer/debugger that I purchased for my STM32 "blue pill" boards in Arduino also work for the STM8 boards. The ST-LINK programmer cost about $1.80.

ST-LINK V2.png