OP versus TS

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
From another thread:
Talking about the OP and TS.
The old system used OP to call an Original Poster, but the new system call that TS -- Thread Starter.
It took me a while to get used to TS. Due to a couple of acquaintances from the office, something else comes to mind when I see TS. Posters here will always be an OP first...

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
From another thread:

It took me a while to get used to TS. Due to a couple of acquaintances from the office, something else comes to mind when I see TS. Posters here will always be an OP first...
When I saw the OP at the first time on this forum, the op amp was come up in my mind, but I think maybe it isn't, then I get used to it, the new system change to TS, but I saw many members still using the OP, although I prefer the OP than TS, but I still follow the new name -- TS, so I think the members will using OP to point to the Original Poster and using op to point to the op amp.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm curious as to how the change came about in the first place. Is there some document put out by XenForo that states that the person that started a thread is to be referred to as the "thread starter", abbreviated TS?

How was this change promulgated?

I do see a motivation to disambiguate Original Poster from Original Post, but the context almost always suffices for that just fine.

I'm sure I'll come around in time. If I were involved on a bunch of boards that used a mix of the two, it would be harder.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think part of the decision has to do with thread ownership. When a TS writes in their own thread it is obvious, even if you start in the middle (which I occasionally do). I'll probably stick with OP until I get my fingers burned.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I recall when Microcip changed the name of the files you needed to deal with in a certain project to "nodes". :( When I started to keep that new and ridiculous name in mind, it disapeared in a major revision of MPLAB. :confused:

Hey DJ, I can live and I feel fine with both and survive. :)