On The Subject of Mains Power

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I noticed in this thread the subject of mains power has surfaced. This same subject has in the past and will in the future surface. Nothing is going to make it go away. The forums have a TOS (Terms of Service) and frequently while members who have been around for awhile know what is and is not permissible for discussion often new members with questions are not familiar with the basic rules as to what is and is not permissible. Controlling and switching mains voltage is not an issue however using a nail on each end of a hot dog ties across mains voltage to cook the hot dog is not a good idea. I believe in matters like this some common sense should prevail. Most of us have seen threads where a moderator may close a thread, followed by a moderation discussion and a thread be reopened, sometimes with a note from moderation warning of lines not to cross. Often the proverbial line is clear as mud. That just being the nature of the beast. During the time I have been active in these forums the infamous Mains Power subject has come up more times than I can count. In my humble opinion the linked thread really has no violation of forum rules in that it only deals with switching AC mains power. The subject of the discussion should remain on topic and not drift off topic. This is true of any thread. Like moderation in a debate, the moderators job is to keep the debate on topic. Now if you will excuse me I plan to cook a hot dog using a safe and sane method. :)

Ron

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The topic came up in that thread bot because of switching but because of the recommendation of a capacitive dropper as the solution. I had previously suggested a tiny, isolated SMPS, avoiding the capacitive dropper solution and only obliquely referring to it.

I think it requires some judgment concerning the understanding and abilities of the TS whether recommending a non-isolated mains supply. Considering the confusion caused by the question, I felt it was not possible to tell if the TS could mange not to hurt themselves or someone else with one, and, in any case the isolated supply was a better option.

So, it seems to me that while the topic is not automatically prohibited, discussing it in a way that might tend to give someone who may not be able to deal with the safety concerns should be, and apparently is.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The topic came up in that thread bot because of switching but because of the recommendation of a capacitive dropper as the solution. I had previously suggested a tiny, isolated SMPS, avoiding the capacitive dropper solution and only obliquely referring to it.

I think it requires some judgment concerning the understanding and abilities of the TS whether recommending a non-isolated mains supply. Considering the confusion caused by the question, I felt it was not possible to tell if the TS could mange not to hurt themselves or someone else with one, and, in any case the isolated supply was a better option.

So, it seems to me that while the topic is not automatically prohibited, discussing it in a way that might tend to give someone who may not be able to deal with the safety concerns should be, and apparently is.
My bad in that I never caught the capacitor issue. Yep, absolutely a taboo. I also strongly agree as to when we see post thought needs to be placed on a thread starter's abilities.

Ron

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Having just looked at the User Agreement, I see the following restricted topics:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • Jammers intended for actual use in other than legal academic contexts
  • Amateur/homemade rail guns and other high-energy projectile devices
I see no mention of "circuitry directly connected to the mains supply".

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
There is this clause in the Rules, T&C's

Clip:
Safety & Closing of Threads. While everyone is responsible for their own safety, the moderating staff, on a case by case basis, will close discussions if they get the impression that one of the members appears unwilling or unable to appreciate the risks in what they are attempting.

If you have a cause for concern over a TS's competence regarding mains power safety, raise a Report.
Admin/Moderation will take the appropriate action.

Mod.